Newest Review: ... one, this is something that I will often make the day after having a roast chicken dinner as with there only two of us in our home there ... more
Winter Warmer - Carrot and Parsnip Soup
Member Name: mwah_xx
Date: 13/10/11, updated on 13/10/11 (88 review reads)
Advantages: Healthy, Warming, Yummy
Disadvantages: Is soup a food?!
Now its getting into winter its casseroles and crumbles ahoy in our house. However all my winter stodge is not helping with the battle of my waistline, in order to try and eat a little bit more healthily I have taken to making soup, I get more veg into me and its soothing and warming!
- 450g of carrots (I tend to use about 8 medium size carrots!)
- 2 Parsnips
- Decent knob of butter
- 1 red onion
- Pint and a half of stock (chicken or veg - depends whatever I have in!)
1. Chop the red onion!
2. Melt butter in pan, add the red onion and cook until softened (about 3 minutes)
3. Top and tail the carrots and parsnips and chop into chunks - leave the skin on!
4. Add the carrot and parsnip to the pan, give a good shake to coat in the butter, slosh a bit of olive oil in if you think its required, stick the lid on and leave on a low heat for 15 minutes
5. Add the stock
6. Bring to the boil, then cover and simmer for 30 minutes
7. Leave to cool
The finished result is quick a thick winter warming soup -rather than a watery blend of veg!
Et voila a healthy yet creamy soup, for an extra elegance add a swirl of cream before stirring!
Summary: Creamy Carrot and Parsnip Soup