Newest Review: ... - Mint - Parsley - Limes - Carrots - Apples (sweet apples like Pink Lady work well) - Hazelnuts - Rocket/ Watercress - Cumin M... more
TO DIE FOR: Roasted Onion, Caramelised Red Onion and Goats' Cheese Tarts
Member Name: Gem7
Advantages: Full of flavour and the tarts look much more fancy than they are...impressive at dinner parties!
Disadvantages: These aren't particularly healthy...good for a treat!
I made these for a dinner party and they went down unbelievably well (people were almost licking their plates clean)! Enjoy.
To make 6:
1 ¼ tbsp olive oil
2 large red onions, cut into thin wedges
3 tsp sugar
1 ¼ tbsp olive oil
1 ¼ tsp sugar
1 fat garlic clove , thinly sliced
8 plum tomatoes , halved lengthways
several sprigs of thyme
450g cherry tomatoes
Pre bought short crust pastry
Pesto mixed with a little olive oil and rocket to serve
1. Heat the butter and oil in a frying pan until the butter has melted. Cook the onion over a medium heat for about 10 minutes until beautifully golden, stirring often. Stir in the sugar and cook for another couple of minutes. Tip the onion and juices into a bowl and set aside.
2. For the tomatoes, heat the butter and oil on the hob until quite hot. Stir in the sugar and garlic, then put in the plum tomatoes cut-side down with a few thyme sprigs, and sizzle for no more than 1 minute. Scatter in the whole cherry tomatoes and tuck in a bit more thyme. Season them with salt and pepper. Continue to cook for a couple of minutes then transfer to the oven with cut sides up for about an hour.
3. Roll out pastry on a lightly floured work surface (about 4mm thick), and press lightly in to tart tins. Prick the bases with a fork and leave in the fridge to rest for 30 minutes. Trim excess pastry from the edges.
4. Place sheet of baking paper over the pastry and three-quarters fill with raw rice or beans. Bake blind for 10 minutes or until edges are light golden, then remove the beans and bake for a further 5 minutes until the pastry is dried out and cooked.
5. When ready, layer in onion, tomatoes and goats' cheese and put in the oven to melt the cheese (5-10 mins).
6. Garnish with rocket and pesto oil.
Summary: Delicious tarts that you will make time and time again!!
More reviews in the field of Recipe
- Beetroot, it doesn't have to be a pickle!
- Make your own salsa: Quick, cheap and very easy
- burgers and bananas
- Diamond Jubilee celebrations: A perfectly simple traditional Victoria sponge
- A true Cuban Mojito...secrets shared!!
- Easy and Quick Snack for Lunch - Mediterranean Cheese Baguette
- potatoes, the ultimate comfort food.
- Tomato or Veg?
- Nice Rice - A Dish with No Name