* Prices may differ from that shown
About the bag:
This is a compact 20 litres day sac for walking or cycling. The bag is made with a strong material but designed to be low in weight. It has a padded back 'flow system' for comfort and an organiser clip. It also has a holder for an MP3 player. I's called twentyfourseven as it can be used daily for multi-puposes such as school, college, work and leisure persuts such as day rambling.
Let down areas:
1. The pocket at the front of the bag is almost useless. It has no zip or Velcro to seal it. Don't risk storing anything of value in here. In other bags I can put in a key or my purse in the smaller pockets so that I have easy access. I don't want to be fumbling around in the roomy main section. I put a hand size packet of tissues in there as:
a) it's something that I can afford to lose if it falls out and
b) The plastic wrapped tissues are waterproof which is helpful as the rain can get into this front pocket.
This means that the pocket space remains mostly empty and therefore, wasted.
2. The shoulder straps can be tightened and loosened. I have a petite figure so I need the straps to be tight. I have them adjusted to the smallest possible length and this is still too large. Unless I wear zillions of layers to bulk out my arms and shoulders this is never going to sit on me properly. Walking with an ill-fitting bag is bad for the back but also very annoying as I have to keep hitching up the straps back onto my shoulders. It needs a chest strap too.
3. A minor point but the flow system and shoulder straps make a crinkly noise when walking which can be annoying in quiet places.
4. When I'm in a summer t-shirt I find that the shoulder straps can chaff my skin.
5. The worst part is that I wanted to be able to store my water bottle on the outside of my back for easy access. I was happy to see there were two mesh pockets each side of the bag for drinks bottles. However, I soon discovered that my large cycling bottle didn't fit into the small space. I shrugged my shoulders and decided to downsize my bottle. It fitted in fine but then I grabbed my bag to go on my day walk in the mountains and the bottle fell out onto the ground. A water supply is essential for a mountain walker so rather than leave my bottle behind I am forced to store it in the main compartment. Whilst there is plenty of room in there it is very inconvenient to not be able to grab the bottle from the side and drink whilst on the move. Ultimately, I will have to buy a bag that does carry the water bottle in the side but this bag is too new for me to not use it.
The good and the not quite so good:
1. Inside are four smaller pockets. I can store my mobile, notebook and pen and much, much more in them, but it's a shame they are not zipped. Also, the pocket I use for the mobile isn't good enough because I often find it floating around in the main section.
2. The bag is large enough to fit my slim laptop.
3. I love that the bag is light in weight and small on the inside but incredibly roomy on the inside. I've carried two raincoats inside at the same time as a large camera and picnic for two or more people and spare clothing and a small pair of shoes. It has been used for walking an as an overnight bag and as a spare when I've travelled. This ease of use and room is superb. I don't need to go up to bags with 25 litres capacity when this holds so much.
4. The bag is compact and I can store it away easily.
5. The padding and flow system prevents items inside the bag from digging into me.
But for £30 there is too much wrong with it. Berghaus are selling to a market of walkers so how can they get the water bottle and pockets so wrong? I feel a bit cheated. I'll continue to use it as it's a strong bag and it has survived quite rough terrain without looking the worse for wear. I am upset and frustrated about the water bottle issue. If they can make this bag again but without those faults I would be very glad to get it. Otherwise, walkers and cyclists keep looking elsewhere.
Update - the main zip pull broke away fairly early on and now the zip doesn't even work properly. I am not a happy customer.
Twentyfourseven in a new design! well featured general purpose daysac. Ideal for short day walks, travel, town or college. 24 hours a day, 7 days per week.