Product Type: Dolmio Sauces / Soups
Newest Review: ... and quicker, not to mention less wasteful. This is a big plus point for me with Dolmio because many companies either aim for the indiv... more
the best sauces I've ever used
Member Name: freud
Advantages: tasty & quick
Disadvantages: not the cheapest way to cook
we love italian food & eat a fair amount of spaghetti, swirls, penne, pasta bakes, lasagnes etc - usually I like to make my own sauces but sometimes due to lack of time or unexpected visitors I have to rely on readymade sauces.
I've tried cheaper makes such as tesco's own & iceland's own brands but to be honest we all prefer dolmio sauces
I've tried quite a few - eg
lasagne white sauce
stir-in sun-dried tomato
tomato & roasted garlic
but our current favourite is the extra spicy bolognese sauce in jars which is delicious
not cheap at £1.47 for 500g from tesco - but very tasty & good to have in for an emergency
I think iceland sometimes sell dolmio on offer at £2.50 for 2 jars but it's still much cheaper I guess to make your own sauces from scratch!
the extra spicy one is a favourite with my 17 year old daughter who's fussy about her food.
There are no 'bits' in it & the flavour is nice & strong so she'll eat it quite happily with pasta quills or penne which is a good quick meal when she comes home 'starving' from college with her friends
lovely served with parmesan or grated cheese for extra protein
tomatoes (77% - which is high)
I won't bore you with them all - the main ones of interest to me are
calories - 498 per 100g
protein - 7.7g
fat - 1.2g
there is a recommended recipe on the reverse which I've used but adapted several times using mince but I've also added vegetables to make the sauce go even further.
I would recommend all the dolmio sauces I have mentioned but would look out for offers
I prefer the jars to the pouches & other containers (our cat has her cat food in pouches!) but they are heavy if you have to carry your shopping & can be awkward to open. The good thing is though that you can re-cycle these jars as they are a good size & very strong.
The taste & texture of all of them to date has been great but it is definately not the cheapest way of preparing italian food.
Summary: tasty & delicious sauces
More reviews in the field of Sauces / Soups
- SAINSBURY'S "BASICS" ONIONS
- MMM... Yum
- dolmio cheese and tomato pasta bake
- Bring back Bachelor's cups
- The revelation of Chicken Noodle Cup-A-Soup
- The best cream of tomato soup about
- Super tasty, super quick, super easy Italian dishes
- Sainsbury's Basics Tomato Pasta Sauce
- NO NO UNCLE BEN....not one of your best .
- Fully loaded with tomato and meatballs. New York soup company.
- Vegatoro Manzanilla Olives Pitted
- Vegatoro Manzanilla Olives Stuffed With Almonds
- Meridian Organic Tomato And Herb Pasta Sauce
- Sunita Kalamata Olive Pate
- Sunita Pitted Green Olives
- Knorr Kaiserteller Onion Soup
- Knorr Kaiserteller Pumpkin Cream Soup
- Knorr Kaiserteller Potatoe Creme Soup With Bacon
- Knorr Kaiserteller Potatoe Cream Soup
- Knorr Kaiserteller Garlic Cream Soup