Product Type: Cisco set top boxes
Newest Review: ... than an hour. The only disappointment I had was that I was not shown how to use the box and was just left with a booklet and remote t... more
Virgin Media TiVo
Member Name: JoelM
Virgin Media TiVo
Advantages: Slow mo option, recording improvements, apps!
I had finally convinced my parents to upgrade to TiVo as being a student with my college a long journey away I can have a lot of free time or very little so when I do I want to be able to do what I want to do swiftly. I could not do this before. Regarding our internet we had a 2 upload and 2 download speed.. needless to say this is terrible! (4G is 10 upload and 10 download.. that's on a mobile phone!) The V+ Box was alright nothing special and no queries on the line rental as it didn't really affect me. We upgraded to the 'VIP Collection'
Anyway enough complaining once I had brought this across I noticed the change straight away, here's a summary of all the great things that came with it and upgraded old features:
- You still have the options to watch on demand, music and films but it has a much better layout
- The V+ box that could only record 2 programmes at the same time (or if a programme finished at 9 and you had 2 set to record at 9 this would count as three and clash. With TiVo you can record 3 programmes at the same time and the end time does not factor into this. Still can record series or single programmes
- It has an internet connection (so did the V+ Box) but with this you can watch videos on YouTube and use other apps pre installed on the box which are great and very innovative. It does not have an internet browser though
- Space for 250 hours of recordings
- Same layout for watching programmes can fastforward or rewind, live TV too. But the one main thing is that with TiVo you can put a programme into a slow mo mode. Which can help to see everything in great detail and being able to do this anytime is great!
The controller is slightly different to the V+ one with the middle slightly curved, takes a while to get used to but is more comfortable and will feel that way straight away to anyone who hasn't had a Virgin media controller before. The buttons are the same apart from the slow mo addition and V+ changed to 'My Shows' When I say the same I mean they all do the same thing but they are in different places. Can't say the layout is worse or better to me it's just different. The box looks well made though I won't be testing its durability anytime soon! The controller has had it's fair drops already and it seems durable the last one definitely was! One thing I have to say is the V+ Box could be very slow and freeze frequently, TiVo does not it is very fast and responsive, may be because its relatively new but have to see as time goes on.
Finally the internet speed is amazing! I have not lagged on the internet once, we have 4 people with smartphones connecting to the WiFi, 2 laptops, 1 desktop computer, the box itself and 2 PS3's all connecting to the internet. Never lagged on any online game, or while browsing since the upgrade whereas before I would be disconnected and slow even when it was working. This is all I thought I would benefit from with the upgrade but the TiVo box itself was a lot better than expected!
The price we got was only £10 more than before ended up as £40 month + £10 line rental. I do not know the price ranges for a new customer but the TV by itself can be got for £20 a month, I am sure this is for a limited time but it is what was advertised, getting a quote from them directly is a better way to find out. Also go around and find out what Sky and the other companies are offering if they offer cheaper tell Virgin Media that and they will 9/10 times match that price.
All in all this is more than just TV now and is an amazing improvement. Would recommend to anyone well worth the money and it is used a lot in the house!
Summary: All positives so far, impressed