“ South Yorkshire / England „
The Hillsborough Barracks is a formidable looking building that is located approximately three miles to the north of Sheffield city centre. It is a Grade 2 listed building and is the only surviving example of a walled barracks in Britain.
The complex covers a 22-acre site and was built in 1848, to replace an existing inadequate barracks that was located nearby at Hillfoot. The original cost of construction was £94,000. The last army unit vacated these barracks in February 1930 and for many years the barracks remained empty.
After the end of the Second War World several companies moved into this complex and for the years that followed this was the principal use of the site, as an enclosed industrial and trading estate. By the early 1980's several of the larger companies had left, and many of the buildings were empty, and the complex was rather run down. It was clearly time for a major revamp.
Fortunately the former barracks had already gained their Grade 2 listed status so when the redevelopers moved in they had to be sympathetic and retain most of the original character of the complex. Had the barracks been left in their dilapidated state for a couple of years further then it is probably true to say that they would have now been turned into luxury apartments, but this was just before the city's obsession with such things. Instead the former Hillsborough Barracks were transformed into a huge undercover shopping complex.
Hillsborough was already a thriving shopping community and the arrival of the city's Supertram system helped to further this area's popularity.
The Hillsborough Barracks Shopping Centre opened in 1990 but it was not until Morrison's Supermarket moved into the complex that it really took off. Today the Morrisson's Store is still the centre's largest store and this occupies the former site of the Artillery Parade Ground, which has now had a roof put over the top of it. The Clock Tower just above the supermarket entrance was originally a tower above the stable block. The old Infantry Parade Ground is now a two storey car park.
In addition to the Morrisons Supermarket there are over a hundred different smaller shops here too. These range from clothes shops, bakers, travel agents and even charity shops, but there are no large department stores.
On the fringes of the complex there are two fast food outlets. These are a Drive Thru McDonalds and a KFC that now both stand where the Army Married Quarters used to be, these had been demolished during the 1970's. Whilst opposite these there is a large B&Q DIY Store that occupies land that used to be a football ground and rifle range.
Aside from the shops the other prominent feature of the Hillsborough Barracks is the Garrison Hotel, which opened in 2001. This large hotel occupies the site of a Jail, Ammunition House and Guardhouse.
Today it is pretty true to say that many of the internal sections of the Hillsborough Barracks have changed beyond recognition from their military days, but the outer sections are more or less preserved as they were a hundred and fifty years ago, making it one of the most interesting shopping complexes in this region.
The Hillsborough Barracks are located between Langsett Road and Penistone Road in the Hillsborough District of Sheffield. Both of these roads are very well served by buses from the city centre, and the Supertram runs down Langsett Road. There is a large bus terminus at the complex.
If you are visiting by car then parking is free in the two storey car park but be warned because the traffic in this area can be very heavy, especially at weekends if Sheffield Wednesday Football Club are playing at home (their ground is less than a mile from here).
Formerly a barrack, the complex covers an area of circa 22 acres and dates from 1848.