Newest Review: ... tends to get quite slippery. I noticed my Daughter seemed to be struggling a bit to walk on the sand. The bigger of the frames is defi... more
The main attraction: Mister Twisters, lol
Attractions in Gateshead in general
Member Name: bluetones_girl
Attractions in Gateshead in general
Date: 16/08/05, updated on 16/08/05 (1341 review reads)
Advantages: great fun for the kids, great food
Disadvantages: can get very busy, weekends are more expensive... and im not there anymore!
I'm going to try my best to be unbiased in this and not make it a giant advert! I worked at Mister Twisters for 8 months last year and I had a brilliant time. I had to leave as i was leaving the area. But I always told management where they were going wrong, lol, not that they appreciated it. So I'm sure I'll have no problems!!!
So for those of you who dont live up in the north east, Mister Twisters is a soft play centre for children. There are three centres at the moment; Gateshead, Consett and Hartlepool and i do believe there are plans to build a fourth. Mister Twister is a giant mouse!
(Near Heworth Golf Club for anyone local)
The centre is open 7 days a week 9.30am - 8pm (9pm fri and sat)
Gateshead centre has a wild west theme. The frame is 4 levels high with a smaller slide for the younger kids (or the wimps like me) and a giant slide that goes top to bottom for all the brave people out there. There's a massive ball pool, a bouncy castle and a football area for all the boys (or girls).
There's also a seperate smaller frame which is just for the under 5's and staff always make an effort to keep the older bigger kids away, so its safe for all the toddlers to play without getting knocked around.
During the week there are lots of different things going on for the kids and its a great place for parents to meet up and relax.
- Toddler time. This runs from 9.30am - 3pm, monday to friday. Children aged 3 and under get in for a reduced price and there is free juice and biscuits out on the tables
- Music Madness. This takes place on a monday during toddler time and there are usually 2 sessions. The staff will round up the children (usually in the football area) and sing lots of songs and nursery rhymes and get the musical instruments out. This usually features a visit from Mister Twister himself. Which is exactly the reason i had mondays as a set day off, lol.
- Activity time. This takes place on tuesdays and thursdays during toddler time and again there are 2 sessions a day. A member of staff will help the children paint/ draw or make some kind of arty/crafty thing. One thing we did was make place mats for fathers day by getting the children to make hand prints with paints on a piece of paper with a lovely sickening poem on, them laminate them. Great fun. I always came home with paint all up my arms and in my hair!!!
- Parachute Games - this is the wednesday activity. Its parachute games in the football area. Athough as most of the kids are quite little it usually turns into, lets just run around underneath it!!!
- Football coaching. This takes place on a thursday night. You just pay normal admission and the coach is there for 2 hours. The children get free juice and biscuits.
- There's always Christmas, Halloween and Easter Parties where children pay a set price to get in and they all get a meal, a visit from Mister Twister and a present
- If there are any free staff of an evening or weekend they will always try and organise a game of hide and seek in the frame
Mister Twister birthday parties are always popular. You get your own party co-ordinator who organises everything for you leaving you to sit back and relax.
There are lots of extras you can have and every birthday party can be personalised for the child. They are quite expensive though and there has to be a minimum of 8 children which tends to put a few people off
This is the restaraunt. The food is brill, and im not just saying that. I used to eat there every day. I wanted to kidnap the cook and bring her away with me. Its not cheap but not overly expensive.
The drinks however are extortionate. Its £1.40 for bottles of coke and dr pepper etc... All the customers are outraged and the poor staff get at least 10 ear bashings a day!!! You're not supposed to take your own drinks in... but if you sit upstairs, nobody will ever know!!!
There are also several family meal and entrance deals available from 3pm til close
Its better value during the week as the prices go up at the weekend. Also at weekends it tends to be busy and staff may make you stick to your 1 1/2 hour time limit. During the week however you can pretty much stay as long as you like.
The prices are during the week
under 3: £2.50
5+ : £3.95
under 3: £3.50
5+ : £4.45
Toddler time : £2.25
So, overall. The kids love it and its a good place for parents to socialise and relax (theres comfy sofas upstairs and even a widescreen tv!). It is a bit pricey but if you go at quieter times, its cheaper and you can stay a lot longer.
Summary: Its a wacky world of fun