Read reviews about sightseeing and attractions across the UK and Ireland. Whether you're on holiday, a school trip or it's the town where you live, don't miss the best parks, gardens, castles, churches and other attractions. Search our Sightseeing National category by country, country region and city or town. Compare consumer reviews, services, prices and more. Use dooyoo - be informed about the UK and Ireland! You can also add your own opinion about a British or Irish shop destination you've visited.
The Real Mary Kings Close consists of a number of closes which were originally narrow streets with houses on either side, stretching up to seven storeys high. In 1753, the Burgh Council decided to develop a new building on this site, the Royal Exchange (now the City Chambers). The houses at the top of the closes were knocked down and part of the lower sections were kept and used as the foundations for the Royal Exchange. The remnants of the closes were left beneath the building, dark and ancient dwellings steeped in mystery.
The Scottish Parliament (Scottish Gaelic: Pàrlamaid na h-Alba; Scots: Scots Pairlament) is the national unicameral legislature of Scotland, in the Holyrood area of the capital Edinburgh. The Parliament, which is informally referred to as "Holyrood" (cf. "Westminster"), is a democratically elected body comprised of 129 members who are known as Members of the Scottish Parliament or MSPs. Members are elected for four year terms under the proportional representation system. As a result, 73 MSPs represent individual geographical constituencies elected by the plurality (first past the post) system, with a further 56 returned from eight additional member regions, each electing seven MSPs.
Walking Tours of Edinburgh.
Edinburgh Castle is an ancient fortress which, from its position atop Castle Rock, dominates the sky-line of the city of Edinburgh, and is Scotland's most famous (and most visited) landmark. Human habitation of the site is dated back as far as the 9th century BC. As it stands today though, few of the castle's structures pre-date the 16th century. As with all castles Edinburgh's has had a long military association. More unusually, at least in Britain the Castle continued to be an active military garrison until relatively recently. Direct administration of the castle by the Ministry of Defence only came to an end in 1923 when the army moved to their new Edinburgh barracks at Redford. Nevertheless, the Castle continues to have a strong connection with the British Army and is in fact still guarded by serving soldiers every day between 6 pm and 9 am.
The Scott Monument is a victorian gothic monument to Scottish author Sir Walter Scott. It stands in Princes Street Gardens in Edinburgh, opposite the Jenners department store on Princes Street and near to Waverley Station. The tower is 200.5 feet or 61.1 metres tall, and the small viewing deck near the top which gives a panoramic view of central Edinburgh and its surroundings is reached by a narrow spiral staircase with 287 steps. It is built from Binnie shale quarried in nearby Livingston; the oil which continues to leech from its matrix has helped to glue the notoriously filthy atmosphere of victorian Edinburgh (then nicknamed "Auld Reekie" old smokey) to the tower, leaving it an unintended sooty-black colour. It is often noted for looking like a 'gothic missile'. Following Scott's death in 1832, a competition was held to design a monument to him. An unlikely entrant went under the pseudonym "John Morvo", the name of the medieval architect of Melrose Abbey. Morvo was in fact George Meikle Kemp, forty-five year old joiner, draftsman, and self-taught architect. Kemp had feared his lack of architectural qualifications and reputation would disqualify him, but his design (which was similar to an unsuccessful one he had earlier submitted for the design of Glasgow Cathedral) was popular with the competition's judges, and in 1838 Kemp was awarded the contract to construct the monument.
The camera obscura in the Outlook Tower at the top of the Royal Mile, next to the castle was established in the 1850's by the optician Maria Theresa Short and was originally known as Short's Observatory. Castlehill, Royal Mile, Edinburgh. Telephone: +44
Edinburgh Christmas Market.
Her Majesty's Yacht Britannia was the 83rd Royal Yacht since the restoration of King Charles II in 1660. She is now permanently moored as an exhibition ship at Ocean Terminal, Leith harbour, Edinburgh, Scotland. HMY Britannia was built at the shipyard of John Brown & Co. Ltd in Clydebank, West Dunbartonshire, Scotland, being launched by Queen Elizabeth II on 16 April 1953 and commissioned on 11 January 1954. During her career as Royal Yacht (she was designed to be converted into a hospital ship in time of war, though this facility was never used), she conveyed the Queen, other members of the Royal Family, and various dignitaries on 696 foreign visits and 272 visits in British waters. Prince Charles and Princess Diana took a honeymoon cruise aboard Britannia in 1981. She also evacuated over 1,000 refugees from the civil war in Aden in 1986. In addition, the ship was intended to serve as a mobile refuge for the British Royal Family in the event of nuclear warfare with the Soviet Union. Guest included U.S. General Norman Schwarzkopf, who commented when he saw the engines: "Well, I've now seen the museum pieces. Where are the real engines?"
The Royal Botanic Garden Edinburgh is both a scientific institution and a tourist attraction. It was originally founded in 1670 as a physic garden to grow medicinal plants. Today it occupies four sites across Scotland Edinburgh, Dawyck, Logan and Benmore each with its own specialist collection. The Edinburgh botanic garden was founded in 1670 at St. Anne's Yard, near to Holyrood Palace, by Dr. Robert Sibbald and Dr. Andrew Balfour. It is the second oldest botanic garden in Britain after Oxford's. In 1763, the garden's collections were moved away from the city's pollution to a site on the road to Leith, and the garden moved to its present location at Inverleith in 1820. The Temperate Palm House, which remains the tallest in Britain to the present day, was built in 1858.
The High Kirk of Edinburgh, St. Giles' Cathedral, is generally regarded as the mother church of Presbyterianism. The Cathedral was officially consecrated by the Bishop of St. Andrews in 1243, however its four massive central pillars date back to approxima
The Palace of Holyroodhouse, or informally Holyrood Palace, founded as a monastery by David I of Scotland in 1128, has served as the principal residence of the Kings and Queens of Scotland since the 15th century. The Palace stands in Edinburgh at the bottom of the Royal Mile.
Located in the heart of the capital, with six exhibition galleries, the City Art Centre is Scotland's emporium of the visual arts. It is both home of the City's collection of Scottish Art, and one the UK's leading temporary exhibition spaces. 2 Market Str
The Meadows is a large public park in Edinburgh, Scotland, just to the south of the city centre. It consists mostly of open grassland crossed by tree-lined paths, but is also home to children's playgrounds, a croquet club and tennis courts. In the summer, it is one of the host venues for the Edinburgh Festival, such as the annual Fringe Sunday. Being one of the few flat stretches of open land in the central area of the city, it is occasionally host to public protests and rallies, including the 225,000-strong Make Poverty History march on July 2, 2005. Circuses frequently visit the meadows too. In the 1870s it became an important venue in the early development of association football in Edinburgh. Amongst the numerous fledgling teams using the Meadows were Heart of Midlothian F.C. and Hibernian F.C., later to prove the city's preeminent sides, and the first Derby match between them was staged there on 25 December 1875. Although a modern plaque has been placed near the whalebone arch to commemorate the event, the main pitch was actually on the eastern fringe of the park, running from east to west, parallel with the Boroughloch Brewery.
* Prices may differ from that shown