Newest Review: ... open to visitors from 7 till 7, and has a deeply complicated pricing structure. There are two towers that you can go up, and a museum of ... more
Ely Cathedral - A Taste of History
Ely Cathedral (Ely)
Member Name: hotrock4
Ely Cathedral (Ely)
Advantages: Good to look around
Disadvantages: Kids may not be so interested
Hi have visited Ely Cathedral on a couple of occasion now. Ely was only a small settlement when the Cathedral was first built and ended up growing into the pleasent city it is today. The Cathedral was apparantly first built by William the Conquerour as an outpost.
Cathedral opening times is 7am-7pm during the summer, and 7.30am-6pm mon-fri, 7.30am-5pm sundays. Guided tours are available here and start from around £5 last time i visted i paid for the ultimate experiance.
This includes a full tour of the Cathedral offering some amazing views of the city, and a look round the stained glass musuem. Tea afterwards is included in the price. All in all i think this cost around £12/£13 but well worth the money.
The cathedral is absolutely amazing inside with huge stain glass windows, really high decorated ceilings an a huge ornamental organ. The cathedral stands around 215ft at its tallest point and is visible from miles around making it a great landmark for Ely. From the top of Mildenhall Chuch in suffolk you can see the Cathedral from a different county on a clear day.
The Cathedral is situated in the centre of Ely with transport from places such as Norwich and London made easy due to having a train station. There is plenty to do in and around Ely please read my Ely in General Review.
A great place to visit lots to see and absorb.
Summary: Great for a look round amazing to see.
More reviews in the field of Sightseeing National
- Fun in the sun this summer
- Holy Trinity Church York, best place in York for a quiet sandwich!
- Flying Without Wings - in London's South Bank
- Encounter venomous snakes and giant spiders on the Welsh/English border
- Walter Scott Woz Here
- Not Just For Bird Watchers
- Watch Gannets Soar and Puffins Plummet
- Northumberland's New Lady
- Cotswold On The Cheap!
- The only thing missing is the sand.
- Sywell Aerodrome (Northampton)
- Arbour Low (Peak District)
- St Michael's Church (Shirley)
- Womack Staithe (Norfolk)
- Horsey Wind Pump
- Tintern Abbey (Tintern Village, Wales)
- Belvoir Castle (Leicestershire)
- Eilean Donan Castle (Scotland)
- Scotney Castle Garden (Lamberhurst, Kent)
- Buckfast Abbey (Buckfastleigh, South Devon)