Newest Review: ... of old and new - an old fronted bulding with lovely features that include a glass staircase and a turret. Admission is free. The... more
Classy and Birmingham?! Who'd have thought it!
Ikon Gallery (Birmingham)
Member Name: pulcinella1920
Ikon Gallery (Birmingham)
Advantages: Attractive, easy, relaxing
Disadvantages: Minority appeal(!), expensive
I visit the Ikon gallery regularly. In case this isn't enough of a testament for how much I enjoy it then read on!
Located in the heart of Brindley Place, an area on which much money has been invested recently, the gallery feels well looked after. The building is a beatiful incorporation of old and new - an old fronted bulding with lovely features that include a glass staircase and a turret. Admission is free.
The art exhibited is almost exclusively contemporary but nevertheless they present an enormous range of contemporary styles. Admittedly sometimes I find the displays hard to relate to, but art is down to taste anyway! Most of the building can be accessed with a reliable lift system in place. There are also folding chairs readily available. There are plenty of staff around too to give a helping hand. However it probably isn't the place to take most children - I can't see many qualities of the gallery that would appeal to them.
There's a well stocked gift shop, although it is quite pricey! They have a remarkable range of art journals and that sort of thing, as well as books. I tend to get quirky postcards from there - they have a great range! I love stopping for a cup of tea and a bite to eat on trips out but this is where the gallery falls short for me - the costs putting me off. However there are plenty of nice coffee shops and restaurants around so it's easy to pop elsewhere!
Summary: It is a high quality contemporary art gallery, but you have to like them in the first place!!
More reviews in the field of Sightseeing National
- Yards from the mainland, yet seemingly a different world
- Birmingham sealife centre
- The Bone Caves
- Stunning rooms inside the British Parliament
- Learning the Badger's Secret
- National Trust at its Best!
- Have Your Own 'Springwatch' Any Time Of Year
- The beautiful Osborne House
- Amazing Day Trip for all the Family!
- Family day out with a difference!
- Etal Castle (Northumberland)
- Dunluce Centre (Portrush)
- Edlingham Castle (Northumberland)
- Berkshire 4x4 Segway Tours (Dinton Pastures)
- Norham Castle (Northumberland)
- Lugnaquilla (County Wicklow, Ireland)
- Fair Head (County Antrim, Northern Ireland)
- Lydford Gorge (Devon)
- The York Brewery (York)
- Horn Head (Donegal, Ireland)