Newest Review: ... from many locations within the town. During the summer months there is a small ferry that travels between Warrenpoint and Carlingford wh... more
Visit the Point
Warrenpoint (Northern Ireland)
Member Name: Ghumphrey
Warrenpoint (Northern Ireland)
Advantages: Great scenery
Disadvantages: Town center parking can be a bit hectic but you will always get a spot
Warrenpoint is a small town about 10 miles outside of Newry. To many locals it's often simply called the point. The town sits in an area of South Down which is famous the world over for its natural beauty. The entrance to Warrenpoint from Newry follows the Newry Canal along what is the only natural fjord in Ireland.
Warrenpoint also has the benefit of being sited along the shores of Carlingford Lough giving impressive views from many locations within the town. During the summer months there is a small ferry that travels between Warrenpoint and Carlingford which is in the Irish Republic.
Today the town is popular with tourists and locals. There is a wide selection of pubs, shops and restaurants. The town is also home to a port which is mainly used for commercial routes and links the town to Scandinavian countries and the UK. There are plans to expand the port and perhaps in the future more passenger based routes may be encouraged.
Pre credit crunch there were plans to build a bridge between the town and the Irish republic so that both Carlingford and Warrenpoint could benefit from the tourists visiting the area. Without the bridge it's a trip of about 20 miles. I personally would like to see the bridge built as it would greatly enhance the overall experience for both visitors and tourists. But with fund so limited presently it may turn out that bridge is one of the items cut.
The town itself has been affected by the troubles. It was at the entrance to the two that a convoy of soldiers was attacked resulting in the death of 19 people.
Warrenpoint has tried to move on from this and in my opinion is doing a good job. The town actively welcomes visitors from around the globe and I have found the people to be very friendly. The town hosts a blues on the bay festival and is also the home of the maidens of the Mournes festival.
All in all Warrenpoint is a nice town to explore and perfect destination to visit on a sunny afternoon as the views are spectacular.
Summary: Nice town to visit
More reviews in the field of Sightseeing National
- Great alternative to Hanley
- Big Wheels keep on turning
- See rare animals and evidence of extinct ones at the seaside
- Rip off merchants
- A gardener's paradise. Logan Botanical Gardens.
- National Trust at its Best!
- Have Your Own 'Springwatch' Any Time Of Year
- The beautiful Osborne House
- Amazing Day Trip for all the Family!
- Family day out with a difference!
- Skomar Island (England)
- Newton's Cove (Weymouth)
- Cardiff Castle
- Sandsfoot Castle (Weymouth)
- St. Paul's Church (Covent Garden)
- Baddesley Clinton (Baddesley Clinton, Warwickshire)
- George Square Observation Wheel (Glasgow)
- Spinningfields Ice Rink (Manchester)
- Carnforth Station and Visitor Centre (Carnforth, Lancashire)
- Tynemouth Priory (Tynemouth, Northumberland)