Newest Review: ... safe for paddling and bathing - there are no sand bars or sudden drop away places, it is fairly shallow for quite a long way and slopes o... more
Weymouth Beach is the jewel in the crown of the south coast
Weymouth Beach (Weymouth)
Member Name: elainemilton
Weymouth Beach (Weymouth)
Advantages: Sandy, wide, safe bathing spot, often something going on
Disadvantages: Just need more sun! The beach itself is perfect.
Weymouth Beach is the jewel in the crown of this lovely tourist town. The beach is wide and stretches from the Pavilion at one end to Bowleaze Cove at the other end. The Pavilion end is sandy and this turns to shingle the further down you walk.
The sea water is clear and clean, and the water is very safe for paddling and bathing - there are no sand bars or sudden drop away places, it is fairly shallow for quite a long way and slopes out to sea very gently.
There is a traditional Punch and Judy show (which personally I have always hated!), donkey rides, trampolines, swing boats and pedaloes for hire, many people also bring balls and Frisbees down to the beach for a chuck about, though in the height of summer this can be a bit more difficult as the beach does get very packed.
The beach is also used for other events throughout the year such as the kite festival, Motocross and beach volleyball, and there are regular firework displays throughout the summer, on Carnival day and on November 5th.
The beach was made famous by King George III who regularly visited Weymouth and claimed that the sea water had medicinal properties. A man on a white horse was carved into the chalk of the hills overlooking the beach (actually at Osmington) to commemorate him, though there was some scandal as the horse was rendered facing away from Weymouth!
Overall a super beach which proves that we don't have to go abroad for the beaches - if only our weather was predictable!
Summary: Highly recommend Weymouth as a town for a short break, and the beach is one of the main reasons.
More reviews in the field of Sightseeing National
- Sail away with me!
- good attraction
- Clifton Suspension Bridge, Bristol tourist attraction
- Worth a visit but needs work.
- The Eden Project
- Time flies at the Manchester's Aviation Viewing Park
- Close up fun for all the family
- A hall, a castle and gardens :)
- Masses to see at (Dunham) Massey
- one of the best castles around
- Arbour Low (Peak District)
- St Michael's Church (Shirley)
- Derby Cathedral
- Warton Crag Nature Reserve (Carnforth)
- Saltburn Cliff Lift (Saltburn)
- A'Mhaighdean (Scotland)
- Mountains of Mourne (County Down)
- Wild About Mull Wildlife Tours (Isle of Mull)
- Dunnottar Castle (Stonehaven)
- Corrieshalloch Gorge (Ullapool)