Newest Review: ... to 2600 above sea level. I visited at the begining of January this year (2010) and it was cold!!! I have been on two holidays previousl... more
Bansko Ski Resort
Member Name: distorted_rage
Advantages: Cheap food and drink, attractive location, lots of beginner-intermediate runs.
Disadvantages: Sofia airport suffers from fog, which often delays flights!
We visited Bansko (Bulgaria) a year ago for a beginner snowboarding holiday. The town itself is a hub of activity, with a charming mixture of reminants from its communist days in the form of statues, plaques and memorabila, combined with delightful architecture and traditional restaurants. If its clubs your after, there are plenty catered towards the ski industry, with lots of 18-30 pub crawls and a wide array of night life. The piest itself is reasonable - as beginners we found there was sufficient to be challenging yet not too intimidating. However, if you are an advanced skier/snowboarder, the more challenging runs were somewhat lacking. There are plenty of additional snow-based activities to be on with, however, and these range from ice fishing to tobogganing. The food and alcohol is cheap, and the hotels (at least the one we stayed in - Hotel Gardinier) are excellent value for money. If your looking to improve your skiing skills and experience a great nightlife at the same time, I would recommend this as a destination!
Summary: Nice destination
More reviews in the field of Ski Resort International
- Who needs apres-ski when skiing itself is this good?
- Val di Fassa - nice resort, but I wouldn't go back (except for the food!)
- Nassfeld is an undiscovered gem!
- A good resort for beginners/improvers
- Great skiing, especially for intermediates/improvers
- The fantastic spaghetti fields of Livigno Italy!
- dreaming of chatel....
- Levi, Lapland: The most magical place on Earth.....
- All together now... well, sort of
- Not without its challenges -you will have to push yourself