Product Type: Kellogg's Snacks
Newest Review: ... when I bought them, so they cost me less than they would have done, but at full price they're around £1.99 for a pack of 6, although if yo... more
BETTER THAN THEY USED TO BE
Kelloggs Nutri-Grain Soft Bake Bar Strawberry
Member Name: angelboouk
Kelloggs Nutri-Grain Soft Bake Bar Strawberry
Advantages: FRUITY., REASONABLE PRICE
Disadvantages: HIGH IN SUGAR
My kind of healthy snack!
The product I will be reviewing is Kellogg's Nutri-Grain Strawberry Morning Bars. The title in the dooyoo catalogue is slightly different as is the packaging as Kellogg's have since updated this product. Kellogg's describe the morning bars as "a soft golden baked crust made with wheat, wholegrain oats and a strawberry filling". They contain fibre, 6 B-vitamins, iron and calcium and are designed to be a breakfast snack on the go either midmorning or if you did not have time for a proper breakfast.
You can buy these individually or as part of a multi-pack. They are housed in cardboard box which is mainly red to reflect the strawberry filling. The front of the box has a perfortrated flap you can tear to allow access to the bars. On the front of the packaging there is the name of the company and the product, some general information, basic nutritional information and a very inviting image of fresh strawberries and a Nutri-grain bar. The back of the box shows the other variations available in the Nutri-Grain range and some more images of strawberries and wheat. One side panel of the box has the nutritional information and company details and the other panel has ingredients and allergy advice. The actual Nutri-Grain bar itself has a red and white plastic wrapper with the name of the product, some strawberries, nutritional information, ingredients and company details. Ideal if you lose the box. To open the bar, you simply pull the wrapper open from the top straight down the middle.
On opening the wrapper, you are greeting with a golden brown and very oaty bar. It is a good size and about the size of a standard Dairy Milk chocolate bar. It is fairly smooth in texture and smells very oaty. When you break the bar in half, you see the strawberry filling which I would say incorporates about 60% of the bar and the oaty exterior covering the remaining 40%. The strawberry filling is strawberry puree and is very thick yet soft.
Cereals (32%)(Wheat Flour, Oat Flour, Whole Oats), Sugar, Glucose-Fructose Syrup, Fructose, Strawberry Puree From Concentrate (7.5%), Fructose-Glucose Syrup, Vegetable Oil, Humectant (Glycerol), Maltodextrin, Dextrose, Stabilisers (Sodium Alginate, Methyl Cellulose, Xanthan Gum), Calcium Carbonate, Modified Starch, Skimmed Milk Powder, Colours(Anthocyanins, Paprika Extract), Salt, Citric Acid, Calcium Phosphate, Raising Agent (Potassium Hydrogen Carbonate), Emulsifier (Sunflower Lecithin), Flavouring, Malic Acid, Niacin, Iron, Vitamin B6, Riboflavin (B2), Thiamin (B1), Folic Acid, Vitamin B12
Contains milk, wheat and oats.
Each 37g bar contains
*Availability and Price*
As I said, you can buy these as a multi-pack which will cost around £2.13 for a pack of 8 from Asda. Other supermarkets do sell them for around the same price and occasionally will have them on offer so it does pay to shop around. You can also buy an individual bar is most shops and service stations but expect to pay around 50-60p.
I am a huge chocolate fan but wanting to lose weight means I need to find an alternative to satisfy my sweet tooth. I also often do not have time for breakfast before college which results on me buying chocolate or crisps at my break so the alternative..Kellogg's Nutri-Grain bars! I started buying these years ago but stopped as I found them to be boring and tasteless and not to mention expensive! Recently when I noticed the different packaging I decided to give them a try. I picked up a box of 8 from my local Asda and now buy them on a weekly basis.
The box is perfect in every way, shape and size and slots nicely into my cereal bar cupboard. I feel that the bars are an ideal size and are very well presented. I was delighted to rekindle my tastebuds with the former tasteless snack as to my happiness, there is now more, lots more fruit filling that there was when I first started buying them! I think this makes them more appealing and less oaty if you know what I mean. I also like the softness of the bar as up til now I have been eating Special K bars which are much harder and due to having developed sensitive and sore teeth, this would leave me in pain so Nutri-Grains does not have the same effect which is an upside.
I think these offer excellent value for money if you buy once a week and take one out with out once a day and therefore allowing the box to last longer. They are tasty, fairly filling til lunchtime and healthier than chocolate if not a bit high in sugar.
Summary: MY BREAKFAST TREAT