Product Type: PC Line speakers
Newest Review: ... switch, power cable, control lead and ports for other speakers to connect to. The woofer is a five-inch cube and doesn't weigh very ... more
Compact, powerful and reliable speakers
PC Line PCL-51001
Member Name: wonkybox
PC Line PCL-51001
Advantages: Durable, good sound
Disadvantages: Constant bass hum, distortion of bass at extreme levels
I bought a set of PC Line speakers about five years ago and I still use them today. I paid just shy of £30 for them from Maplin, although I can't remember if they were on offer
My set consisted of one bass woofer that also acts as the main unit, housing the on/off switch, power cable, control lead and ports for other speakers to connect to. The woofer is a five-inch cube and doesn't weigh very much. I'm pleased with their durability, they've been with me through four house moves and there's not a scratch on them.
Included also were two smaller speakers for the left and right audio, these are plugged into the back of the woofer.
The sound quality is good for the price I paid. Using the external controller you can control volume and bass with the little wheels. The bass can't be pumped up too much as it distorts at higher volumes so I certainly wouldn't bring these to any raves, but for watching movies, listening to music at a normal level and using for background music whilst entertaining these speakers can perform really well.
The controller also has a headphone jack but I've never used this.
When switching the speakers on there is a vary audible bass hum however. I don't know what causes this and it can be annoying. When they're not in use I tend to turn them off at the woofer.
Summary: Great for standard use, just don't go raving with them.
|Ease of use:|
More reviews in the field of Speaker
- Brilliant Budget Travel Speakers
- Great product for a great price
- Surprisingly good!
- Speakers to jazz up the laptop
- Great set of speakers
- Sound Travels with the Creative i85!
- A crystal clear Creative creation!
- Mini product, maximum sound
- Travel Speakers: Creative TravelSound I300
- Expensive but Worth Every Penny!
- Trevi AV540BK Active Powered 2-Way Stereo Speakers
- Hyundai Multicav 8" Black Active Home Theater Subwoofer
- Canton DM 90.2 3-Way Bass Reflex System
- AEG LB 471 Hifi Tower Floor standing Speakers 400W RMS
- Koda 858F Hi-Fi 3-Way Speaker 100W RMS White Box Design
- Mission 794
- Mission M31
- KEF C5
- KEF KUBE 2
- MJ Acoustics Pro 50