Newest Review: ... a local wine shop which cost me £17.95. Dedo was the brand and I was attracted to the long thin bottle with a Modigliani-esque lady on t... more
The kiss of the green fairy
Kubler 53 Absinthe
Author Name: superness11
Kubler 53 Absinthe
Advantages: fun drink
Anything that used to be banned will always attract attention so when I first visited the Czech Republic many years ago I was eager to try my first Absinthe. I can't say I loved it because it made me very ill! However, it's potency attracts me and I love to have a bottle in the cupboard so we can have a shot with friends after dinner. I think I like setting it on fire the best!
==Price and availability==
I bought a bottle from a local wine shop which cost me £17.95. Dedo was the brand and I was attracted to the long thin bottle with a Modigliani-esque lady on the bottle. The bottle is 20 cl and it is 75% proof.
==Taste and look==
The drink is green and is often called the kiss of the green fairy. It is made from herbs and it has a very fiery kick to it but it has a distinctive herbal taste. The traditional method of drinking it is mixing it with sugar and water but I prefer it as a shot with sugar and set on fire. If you get hold of an absinthe spoon or a regular tea spoon and place a sugar cube on top thaqt is dipped in absinthe you should then set it on fire. As the alcohol burns the sugar will melt into the drink and then drink the warm shot. The sugar takes the edge off the woomwood which is the main ingredient. This is not a one off drink as it is very strong. I'm sure you have all heard the rumours that Van Gogh cut off his ear on this stuff.
==The mean green==
This is one of those drinks that everyone loves to try because it is quite novelty so when it gets brought out at a gathering people are really interested in it. I personally can only drink one shot and then I have had enough as I will be on my back! I love the hot kick it gives and would drink more if it was not so strong.
I have tried quite a few Absinthes before and I like the Dedo branded one the best because it is smoother and less harsh. It is good quality and although very expensive, it is genuine Absinthe. I would definitely recommend this to any Absinthe lovers.
Summary: A strong drink
More reviews in the field of Spirits
- Made me walk like a peg-legged pirate!
- Will you be getting fruity for Halloween?
- Black vodka
- Gold Standard Vodka
- Gold For My Belly!!
- Plenty Of Peat But A Little To Sweet
- The Best Of The Best
- perfect in a Margarita, not so perfect as a Slammer!
- Made from the dusky thighs of chaste maidens
- Bushys don't do it for me!
- Midleton Barry Crockett Legacy Single Pot Still Irish Whiskey
- Jack Daniel's Angelo Lucchesi 90th Birthday Tennessee Whiskey
- Jack Daniel's 2011 Birthday Edition Whiskey Tennessee Whiskey
- Hazelburn 2002 8 Year Old Sauternes Finish Campbeltown Whisky
- Haig Gold Label 1940s Late George V Spring Cap Blended Whisky
- Clos Martin 50 year Old Vieille Reserve Armagnac
- Clynelish 12 Year Old 1960s Highland Single Malt
- Clynelish 12 Year Old 1970s Highland Single Malt
- Dimple Royal Sovereign 21 Year Old 1980s Blended
- Dictador 20 Year Old Distillery Icon Reserve Rum