Newest Review: ... bottle looks quite neat and looks good in the drinks cabinet however as far as that is concerned it is probably better forgotten at the ... more
The only black vodka
Member Name: nimnim
Date: 23/01/13, updated on 10/07/13 (34 review reads)
Advantages: It can look good
Disadvantages: It looks awful in orange juice
Blavod - The black vodka
I have to admit I'm no the words biggest vodka fan, but I have been a bit partial to Blavod in the past - cleverly named merging the words Black and Vodka...
It can't get better than that right? Well wrong... This vodka through 'clever' science stuff can be made to float... Remember the first time you saw a well made tequila sunrise? Those beautiful layers? Well this looks good over RedBull - or non branded energy drink... You do have to pour slowly, and I find the back of a teaspoon to be useful in these cases, but it can be done...
The vodka itself is a relatively 'nice' tasting vodka, and it can be considered 'smooth' (I consider it smoother than paint stripper - but I don't drink anything straight)... Mixed in with dark colored mixers I find the drink to be a nice vodka, however once having had it with orange juice I have to say I found that off putting - it went a kind of green shade, but we had actually drunk the pub dry at a lock in, so by that time I wasn't too fussed...
The vodka comes in a 70cl bottle, and is 37.5% (which as far as I know is a standard vodkas strength). The black colour comes from the herb catechu - which is apparently high in tannins - so people who feel red wine gives them a hangover may want to avoid this, as it may make you feel pants the next day (although to be fair this is probably the same for all - so please do drink responsibly). The design of the bottle has changed which I personally feel makes it look a bit classier. It's much more muted, with striaght up sides, and white writing on it.
A bottle of this will set you back about £17 - £20 which isn't too bad for vodka, but given that it has limited mixers it can be added to is a little on the pricey side in my eyes.
It's good for a cocktail party, but I personally feel that you can make drinks look better with cheaper more versatile ingredients.
4*s from me...
Summary: Nice as a gimmick
More reviews in the field of Spirits
- Vanilla Spiced Rum that took my (Oak)heart!
- OK, but you're paying for the name
- The Exciting Vodka!
- an Ok drink but there are better vodkas for less money
- a good bottle to have, versatile as a vodka and makes interesting cocktails
- one of the best tasting vodkas in the mid price bracket
- Sailor jerry is rummy!
- Royal Lochnagar 1981 25 Year Old Roseisle Maltings
- Royal Salute 21 Year Old Red Wade Decanter Blended
- Springbank 1966 1990 West HighlandSherry Cask #442
- Springbank Pure Malt 8 Year Old 1980s Blended Malt
- Tamnavulin-Glenlivet 20 Year Old Sherry Wood 1980s
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1942
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1943
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1944
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1949
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1950