Product Type: Eristoff Vodka
Newest Review: ... lid which means it can be used now and again and retains it's freshness. The vodka itself is definitively black, due to it being a vodka de... more
Beware of the Black mouth
Eristoff Black Vodka
Member Name: jojo8948
Eristoff Black Vodka
Advantages: Tastes really fruity.
Disadvantages: Staining, hard to mix with other things
My husband and I were given this as a gift the other month and we had never seen it before.
It is described on the bottle as Wild Berry flavoured Triple Distilled Premium Vodka.
After some research I have found that it is available from Sainsburys for around the £10.00 mark, which I thought for a bottle of vodka of this size is quite reasonable.
At first glance we weren't sure if it was actually black liquid or just a black bottle but is actually a black liquid, which is certainly a novelty. The bottle is a really nice shape, which also makes it an interesting one to leave out on the shelf for guests to admire.
The taste of the drink is really pleasant, it's a bit like a fruity vodka cocktail, but at 20% alcoholic volume it's quite strong. It is definitely very fruity and that seems to take away some of the harshness of the alcohol. It's quite a sweet flavour too.
However there are a couple of flaws with this drink. One is because it's black it's hard to mix with things like lemonade, or orange juice as it looks pretty disgusting, and to mix it with anything doesn't really work anyway as it's fruity and fruity vodka and coke is not great, so it sort of ruins the taste to mix it, so we found that it tastes and looks the best neat, which just seems a bit hardcore!
The second flaw is once again down to the colour and it's that it really does stain lips, mouth, tongue etc. It happens pretty much as soon as you drink it, and even cleaning your teeth before bed doesn't really remove it all. I found that I had to scrub my lips with my toothbrush the next morning again, to try and get rid of the staining.
I think this is a great novelty and it tastes nice but the novelty element which is the colour is also the biggest downfall. The taste is pleasant but is it worth the hassle of the staining and all the issues of mixing it - not really.
I would recommend this if you are looking for something a bit different but be prepared for the negative aspects. I wouldn't really recommend it because of all that, but not because it's not a nice taste.
Summary: A novelty that is it's own worst enemy.
More reviews in the field of Spirits
- Not just for old ladies!
- A nice wee dram!
- A Jack and Ginger Beer for me.
- Four Roses Bourbon
- Cough mixture - for the spirit world...
- Does Glenfeddich Cast a Spell on You?
- Vodka and Coke Please?
- Definitely not Beetlejuice, Russian Standard Original Vodka.
- Silver bullets for the werewolf tequila drinkers
- Tapatio Excelencia Gran Reserva Extra Anejo Tequila
- Tamdhu 1966 Macphail's Collection Gordon & Macphail
- Tamdhu 1962 Macphail's Collection Gordon & Macphail
- Springbank 1992 7 Year Old Da Mhile Limited Edition
- Abhainn Dearg 2008 First Bottling Island Single Malt
- Johnnie Walker Double Black Blended
- Isle of Jura 1995 Bourbon Jo Finish
- Martell VOP Cognac Spring Cap 1940s
- Laphroaig 10 Year Old Cask Strength
- Jose Cuervo Especial Silver Tequila