Newest Review: ... Supermarket or reputable bar. It is certainly not in the same family as single malts available in the market, but the reasonable afforda... more
Famous Grouse Whisky
Member Name: northernlovely
Famous Grouse Whisky
Advantages: Price, easy to drink
Disadvantages: None really
My dad is a huge whisky fan, though he doesn't drink huge amounts - no more than a tot a night and a few more on special occasions ;) so obviously when those special occasions come around I like to buy him a bottle of whisky. Sometimes I get him very expensive whisky and sometimes I get a cheaper bottle of whisky and put it in a hamper with fine foods and toiletries and so on. The Famous Grouse is certainly a cheaper whisky, you can purchase a 1 litre bottle on offer around Christmas time for £12 which is amazing value.
So, to the whisky. The Famous Grouse is a blended Scotch Whisky and has been around as a brand since the late 1700s. The parent company has changed hands but the brand itself is a very well known one in the UK market and it's a very popular whisky. My dad prefers Scotch whiskies and I know that he likes this one as an everyday drink - he finds it pretty mellow. It has a good colour and I think the bottle looks the part, too - a red grouse in the Scottish highlands in a substantial glass bottle. It's a warming drink and it doesn't have the harsh afterburn a cheaper own brand type whisky can have. Certainly in the cheaper (under £15) arena, it's one of his favourites if not his favourites.
So, overall I do think that the Famous Grouse whisky certainly has it's place in the market. It's not what I'd call an extra special whisky, but for everyday drinking it's more than good enough and it's an enjoyable drink. It is a great 'hamper filler' for my dad without blowing the budget. Overall I will give the Famous Grouse four stars out of five - there are nicer whiskies but for a more budget blended Scotch whisky it does the trick and does it well.
Summary: A decent cheaper whisky
More reviews in the field of Spirits
- Vanilla Spiced Rum that took my (Oak)heart!
- Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum!!
- Tesco Value Vodka
- Italian Grappa
- my new found second favourite gin
- Van Gogh are twisting my melon, man!
- The new favourite whiskey
- A cool taste explosion that should be served 'seriously chilled'!
- Sailor jerry is rummy!
- Paint stripper
- Glenury Royal 12 Year Old John Gillon 1980s Highland Whisky
- Ichiro's Malt Hanyu 15 Year Old Japanese Single Malt Whisky
- Jack Daniel's Scenes from Lynchburg No.10 Tennessee Whiskey
- Port Dundas 20 Year Old Special Releases 2011 Single Whisky
- Talisker 12 Year Old Friends of Classic Malts Island Whisky
- Bowmore 1980 + Copper Pot Still Islay Single Malt
- Bowmore 1962 Sherry Cask Moon Import Islay Whisky
- Bowmore 12 Year Old Half Bottle Islay Single Malt
- Bowmore 12 Year Old Fly Fishing Islay Single Malt
- Blair Athol 8 Year Old 1980s Highland Single Malt