Product Type: Laphroaig Distillery Vodka
Newest Review: ... an intense flavour. They are the opposite of say a Speyside whisky which is smooth and mellow with quite a soft finish. It's interesting t... more
Smoky, peaty, iodine...Sound nasty? Far from it!
Laphroaig 10 Year Old Whisky
Member Name: asgardroot
Laphroaig 10 Year Old Whisky
Advantages: Strong flavour heavily linked to the geography of the area.
Disadvantages: Can overwhelm unsuspecting imbibers!
Hailing from the beautiful Islay in the Western Isles of Scotland, Laphroaig or, phonetically "La-froyg", is an extremely flavoursome, peaty, kelpy whisky that offers superb value for money, but, rather like Marmite can illicit wildly differing opinion. In my own, single-malt loving opinion, Laphroaig is best thought of almost as a distinct drink from your every-day single malts as I am certain that even if you love it, there will be days where you reach for a Tallisker or a Jura or whatever else you have stashed in your liquor cabinet.
Now, onto the whisky itself; on the nose it has an extraordinary scent that combines the seaweeds typical to the Western Isles, with a dash of not overly sweet honeydew melon that offsets the saltiness of the kelp scent perfectly. There is a medicinal undertone that almost reminds me of iodine - which might go some way to authenticate rumours that Laphroaig managed to overcome abolition laws by masquerading as a disinfectant - as another reviewer has noted!
On the palate, Laphroaig's peaty goodness really comes into its own, filling the mouth on initial contact with wave after wave of delicious, earthen charm that transports the drinker immediately to the place of origin, assuming you have visited the isles. The aftertaste is strong and peaty with a musky oak of a counterbalance that provides a satisfying, lingering sensation of refined drinking.
Easily up there in terms of the best of the Islay whiskies - all of which have some charm unique to the area, Laphroaig is certainly not the whisky I would recommend to novice drinkers, but after becoming accustomed to the whiles of whisky it is not to be missed.
Summary: An utterly unique drinking experience
More reviews in the field of Spirits
- Vodka as it should be
- So smooth it's scary
- Buy-some Bison
- Powerful stuff!
- Great for a true vodka lover
- OK, but you're paying for the name
- The Exciting Vodka!
- an Ok drink but there are better vodkas for less money
- a good bottle to have, versatile as a vodka and makes interesting cocktails
- one of the best tasting vodkas in the mid price bracket
- Strathmill Centenary Decanter 1891-1991
- Strathisla 1967 40 Year Old Cask #1894
- Strathisla 1937 34 Year Old Sherry Wood
- Strathisla 12 Year Old Old Presentation
- St George Breaking and Entering Bourbon
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1985
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1986
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1989
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1988
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1987