Product Type: Sailor Jerry Vodka
Newest Review: ... did add a used vanilla pod, to enhance the flavour. (You could do this with the Sailor Jerrys, but it is an expensive way of getting the or... more
why oh why did they change the recipe?!
Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum
Member Name: stacey10304
Sailor Jerry Spiced Rum
Disadvantages: doesnt taste like it used to, still has expensive price tag or a mediocre rum
Sailor Jerry's a few years ago was my favourite alcoholic drink ever, it was so unique and quite hard to get hold of which made it that little bit more special. Then they went ahead and changed the recipe, and now it tastes just like every other spiced rum and is no longer unique and special.
Sailor Jerry's used to be absolutely delicious, it smelled divine and tasted heavily of vanilla and lime and spices. It was without a doubt the nicest rum out there, it was also only available in select bars, online, and in Waitrose. Just as it seemed the Sailor Jerry's craze was at its height and it was rapidly gaining popularity, they changed it.
The sailor Jerrys today has a slightly different less attractive label, and a less distinct taste. It tastes just like other rums such as Morgans Spiced or Bacardi Oakheart, yet it still retains its high price tag of £17 for 70cl. Gone is the sweet vanilla and twist of lime and tempting spices, now all I can say is that it tastes quite bland. Dont get me wrong its still an OK rum, its not disgusting to drink and tastes alright as far as rum goes, but its impossible to like it if you ever tried to old recipe.
If you've got some extra cash and you want to try the old one (I highly recommend it, you'll have tasted nothing like it) then you can still find it very limited in various places online - but it costs about £100 and above - thats how good this rum actually was before it was changed.
So overall the old sailor Jerrys rum would get 5 stars from me, but this new recipe just doesnt compare in any way to what it used to be. Why they changed it I will never know, I dont know anyone who prefers this new recipe!
Summary: bye bye sailor jerry
More reviews in the field of Spirits
- Vanilla Spiced Rum that took my (Oak)heart!
- Yo Ho Ho And A Bottle Of Rum!!
- Citron (and lime!)
- watch out for black mouth!
- Notes of Bison
- Absolut Raspberry Vodka
- a nice vodka (if vodka can be nice)
- A cool taste explosion that should be served 'seriously chilled'!
- Sailor jerry is rummy!
- great peat taste
- Domschatz Apricot Schnaps Real
- Bowmore 1968 34 Year Old Islay Single Malt
- Bowmore 1968 35 Year Old Islay Single Malt
- Bowmore 1969 32 Year Old Islay Single Malt
- Bowmore 1969 33 Year Old Islay Single Malt
- Bowmore 1964 35 Year Old Islay Single Malt
- Guglhof Rowanberry Schnapps
- Guglhof William Pear Schnapps
- Domschatz Apricot Schnaps Mug
- Domschatz Excellence Apricot Schnaps