Newest Review: ... be sure to taste the watered down whisky more than they would notice a few shots missing). Teachers whisky was one of the few whiskies... more
~Drinking The Teachers Spirit~
Member Name: newby2
Date: 28/10/12, updated on 28/10/12 (39 review reads)
Advantages: good price for a mixer whisky
Disadvantages: not best for straigh twhisky drinking
now I may not look like your average Whisky drinker but I must say that after vodka it is my spirit of choice. I think the reason for this would be that it was probably the first alcoholic drink that I ever tried seeing that mum and dad would often have a couple of straight whiskies of a night time and I would be allowed to have a small one mixed with coke when I reached my teenage years.
Of course I did often pinch a wee bit here and there when they weren't looking to take out on a night out down the seafront as young tearaways usually do (but I would never fill the bottle up with water so it was the same level as they would be sure to taste the watered down whisky more than they would notice a few shots missing).
Teachers whisky was one of the few whiskies that they would buy on a regular basis and for this reason when I see it of special offer now I tend to pick up a bottle (or two) just to keep my drinks cabinet stocked nicely.
The teachers whisky comes in a slightly different shaped bottle when compared to other spirits and it gives it a slight edge over its competitors as I could recognise the bottle without the label very easily. You can pick a bottle of it up in most supermarkets and smaller local shops although in local shops its hardly ever on offer and almost always more money than at the supermarket.
For a 70 cl bottle of the spirit you would be looking at paying out an average price of around £12 when not on offer but it will often be around the £9 price when on offer. It is one of the cheaper branded whiskies but one of the nicer ones in my opinion.
Teachers is a scotch whisky which has a lovely light golden colour to it and it smells very rich and perfect to mix with a little bot of diet coke. It isn't the best whisky to drink straight or on the rocks I feel and it is much more one of those that does need to be mixed. I would rather drink a Famous Grouse on the rocks as it has a nicer after taste as I find this can leave the mouth a little dry.
Teachers is a little different from most other whiskies because it is has a blend with a high malt content which is said to give it a richer taste which I can agree with slightly as the taste is really quite rich but I still personally find that it is not my favourite whisky to drink although for a whisky in this price range it is holding its own compared with others.
I think all in all it is a good whisky to be mixed with coke or the like and doesn't have the taste that is needed to be able to smoothly drink it straight. For this reason I feel that I will mark it down a single mark and give it a 4 out of 5 star rating and I would still recommend it especially for the price.
I do hope that this has been of some help/interest to you
Many thanks for taking the time to read.
Summary: a nice cheap whisky
More reviews in the field of Spirits
- Double Double, Toil and Trouble
- Could even use this to make apple bobbing more fun ;-)
- Absolut Vanilla Vodka
- Bombay Sapphire Gin
- ~Cheap and Cheerful (after several)~
- OK, but you're paying for the name
- The Exciting Vodka!
- an Ok drink but there are better vodkas for less money
- a good bottle to have, versatile as a vodka and makes interesting cocktails
- one of the best tasting vodkas in the mid price bracket
- Teerenpeli 2003 8 Year Old Finnish Single Malt Whisky Finnish Whisky
- Harwood's Blended Canadian Whisky 1940s Canadian Blended Whisky
- Griersons No.1 Blended Scotch 12 Year Old 1980s Blended Whisky
- Glamis 10 Year Old Glen Fyne Single Malt 1930s Highland Whisky
- Chichibu The First Ichiro's Malt Japanese Single Malt Whisky
- Croizet 1894 Cognac Baccarat Crystal Bot 1950s
- Dallas Dhu 1974 18 Year Old The Master of Malt
- Deanston 8 Year Old 1980s Highland Single Malt
- Domaine Boingneres Bas Armagnac Cepages Nobles
- Gancia Rosso Vermouth Centenary Bottling 1950s