Newest Review: ... my thing, I am not label-loyal. I do accept that some times a brand named good is better than a cheaper alternative, but even then I usu... more
I can afford a drinky at home, unlike in a pub
Tesco Everyday Value White Rum
Member Name: madeindevon
Tesco Everyday Value White Rum
Advantages: So much cheaper than ridiculous pub prices
These days, the cost of going out to a pub for a few drinks turns out so ridiculously expensive that it really is impossible to do it.
The last time I have a single measure of Bacardi and Coke in a pub the cost of one drink was about £3.30 and this was a couple years ago, so I don't think I will bother again.
We don't buy alcohol very much at home, for health reasons mainly - but on occasions we do like to have a couple glasses at the end of the working week.
Brand names are not, and never have been, my thing, I am not label-loyal. I do accept that some times a brand named good is better than a cheaper alternative, but even then I usually find that there are a few different brand names to chose from and one of them is usually on special offer - I cannot fathom for the life of me why anyone would spend around one third of the price without shopping around.
Christmas was looming and we usually buy a couple bottles of drink to have in the house. I was shopping around, looking at the bottles of Bacardi and feeling highly cross at the price of it, even as part of the Christmas special promotional offers.
My youngest daughter is a student, away at university, and you know what these youngsters are like... they like to have fun and party and always on a shoestring -budget. She suggested to me that I try the Tesco Value White Rum - I thought about it and had a look at the prices while in Tesco.
I didn't have to think about it for too long when I saw the price! £8.99 for a 700ml bottle, when the equivalent size brand named Bacardi was over £12.
I'll be honest here and say that my expectations were not high, I did not expect it to taste just like the brand name.. and rightly so, you could tell that it was different.. but, there was absolutely nothing wrong with it either.
My favourite tipple of Bacardi and Coke, with a slice if lemon - or Bacardi, Lime and Soda with a slice of Lime was absolutely great.. I am converted, totally and will only buy the brand name bottle now if it is cheaper than the Value... and let's face it, I can't see that happening anytime soon.
My recommendation... use a nice tasting mixer and the drink will be every bit as good as the brand name.. it won't taste the same, but it will taste like any other White Rum
Summary: As long as you don't expect it to taste the same as the branded variety, you will find it very nice
More reviews in the field of Spirits
- Plenty Of Peat But A Little To Sweet
- perfect in a Margarita, not so perfect as a Slammer!
- Made from the dusky thighs of chaste maidens
- a twist on an already very tasty vodka
- classic pairing with apple juice.
- one of the better cheap vodka's on the market
- The only black vodka
- ONLY SMIRNOFF VODKA WILL DO FOR ME
- Bushys don't do it for me!
- Balvenie 14 Year Old Cuban Selection Speyside Whisky
- Balblair 1979 Gordon & Macphail Highland Single Malt
- Balvenie 17 Year Old DoubleWood Speyside Single Malt
- Balblair 1992 12 Year Old Peaty Cask Highland Whisky
- Balblair 1969 Gordon & Macphail Highland Single Malt
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1985
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1986
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1989
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1988
- Maison Gelas Armagnac 1987