Newest Review: ... like "zhu-wont-kova" ... feel free to correct me) drunk with orange juice. Unfortunately, the addition of the juice doesn't have... more
Leaves Me Bitter
Wodka Zoladkowa Gorzka
Member Name: Puggers
Wodka Zoladkowa Gorzka
Disadvantages: Nasty aftertaste, little better with a mixer.
I've mentioned elsewhere that Zubrowka and Pan Tadeusz are my favoured Polish vodkas - this is another pretty prevalent one, although I can't say as I'm nearly as fond of it.
Just as Zubrowka is often served mixed with apple juice to make a "szarlotka", or apple pie (and is all the better for it), I've come across Zoladkowa (something like "zhu-wont-kova" ... feel free to correct me) drunk with orange juice. Unfortunately, the addition of the juice doesn't have the same transformative effect that happens with Zubrowka.
Made with a range of herbs and infused with fruits, this is described as a "bittersweet" vodka - I get plenty of bitter, but not so much of the sweet. I like neat vodka, and I like it used with a mixer, but I don't think this is particularly pleasant in either case; drunk neat, the herbs only serve to muddy the clean taste of the vodka, and leave an unpleasant aftertaste that begs to be washed away. Mixed with orange juice, it does give a strong bitter twist, but personally the result isn't to my taste. Perhaps there are juices that mix better with this, and I've been misled by the addition of orange ... in which case humble apologies. Otherwise, I'm not impressed.
Zoladkowa also comes in honey and mint varieties - both of which are pretty medicinal and excessively lingering. In a country that is justifiably proud of its vodka production, this isn't a highlight for me. I haven't come across it in the UK, but you could probably track it down if you were particularly motivated to do so. I would suggest it isn't worth the effort. There are some great Polish vodkas out there, but this isn't one of them.
Summary: You could do so much better.
More reviews in the field of Spirits
- SMWS 1.81 27 Year Old Swarfega Sherry Cask
- Somerset Cider Brandy 20 Year Old 42% 50cl
- Speyside 16 Year Old Fragments of Scotland
- Springbank 2000 12 Years Old Calvados Wood
- Talisker 1994 Managers' Choice Sherry Cask
- Bell's British Grocers' Centenary Luncheon Decanter Blended Whisky
- Glenmorangie Rare Edition Port Wood Finish 2x35cl Highland Whisky
- Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban 12 Year Old Port Finish Highland Whisky
- Bowmore 10 Year Old Provident Mutual 150 yrs Ceramic Islay Whisky
- Bell's Christmas Decanter 2010 Arthur Kinmond Bell Blended Whisky