Product Type: Lyle's Spread
Newest Review: ... The cap is a flip up jobby, where once opened you pull up the top half revealing a small hole through which to squeeze your syrup.... more
Bit of syrup for your pancakes Sir?
Lyle's Golden Syrup Original
Member Name: CarolineMB
Lyle's Golden Syrup Original
Advantages: So reasonably priced
Disadvantages: The sheer amount of sugar in it!
I love golden syrup - it is one of those things in life that I forget about until Pancake Day then realise how gorgeous syrup actually is. It's probably a good job i don't remember constantly about it as I would develop a syrup addiction!
I have only ever had this syrup as I don't see how any could be better than this one. It is made by Lyle's and is a very reputable brand for things like syrup. You can buy the product in a short metal tin but I prefer the squeezy plastic container instead as it is easier to pour. The bottle is a thick but quite malleable plastic and is see through so you know how much is left in the bottle, and is also useful when pouring to see when it is going to come out. There is a dark green and gold label on it with the Lyle's logo on it and a few bits of useful information like the nutritional value.
There is a light brown lid on the bottle which is easy to open and close by flipping it. The consistency of the syrup is all gooey, sticky and runny although it is a thick runny as opposed to a thin runny! The smell of it is really sweet and almost gives you sugar cravings just by smelling it!
It pours very easily out of the top and in my personal opinion is easier to use than the tin version as you have to spoon it yourself out of the tin version. The taste is delicious. It is best on pancakes but is also lovely on bananas or ice cream (or both!). It is very sweet but, like honey, doesn't just taste of sugar it has a flavour to it as well. It is almost treacly flavoured but less intense. It is quite thick so if you want to lick it off a spoon it might take a few licks to get the spoon clean!
This bottle is available from Tescos for £1 and holds 454g. As I said earlier on, there is a lot of sugar in syrup, in fact, 77.5g in 100g! Not for the faint hearted!
Summary: A lovely syrup, well priced and lasts a long time. A great staple for the cupboard.
More reviews in the field of Spread
- Time to feel at home
- Look what the Stork made.
- Less fat, but more than double the carbs!
- Might be thick cut but also too bitter for me.
- An old favourite that is nutritious and tasty.
- Stay slim and eat the same!
- Versatile and Delicious
- It's witchcraft.
- Everyday Value Cheese Spread.
- MMM tasty.. sorry supermarket jam the relationship is over
- Darbo Reform Fruit Spread Blue Berry
- Darbo Reform Fruit Spread Orange
- Darbo Fruit Spread Mixed Fruits
- Darbo Raspberry Jam Finely Sieved
- Darbo Rose Apricot Jam Finely-Sieved
- Bovetti Organic Traditional Hazelnut And Milk Chocolate Spread
- Bovetti Organic Traditional Hazelnut And Plain Chocolate Spread
- Bovetti Traditional Hazelnut And Milk Chocolate Spread
- Chocolate Company Ivory White Chocolate Spread Caramel And Vanilla
- Bovetti Traditional Hazelnut And Plain Chocolate Spread