Product Type: Dove Sun Care
Newest Review: ... tried the fair to medium one as I felt this best matched my skin tone. It comes in a tall bottle with a flip cap lid which closes... more
Effective but be careful if you're fair!
Dove Summer Glow Body Lotion
Member Name: cirsty
Dove Summer Glow Body Lotion
Advantages: achieves a healthy consistent glow, feels luxurious
Disadvantages: Takes far too long to dry and smells quite strong
As a red head with particularly fair skin, I'm quite wary of tanning products and tend to avoid bronzer and spray tans. I'm quite lucky to have skin that lightly tans so a gradual tanner suits me well as long as I know when to stop applying to avoid looking like an Oompa Loompa! I've used dove products for a long time and am a massive fan of their body washes and lotions, so I felt inclined to use their gradual self tanner.
Packaging: the packaging of this product is quite basic, the colour is quite attractive and definitely puts the consumer in the mood for a tan! The bottle itself is easy to use and makes squeezing out the product easy, although the flip lid has a tendency of catching the product residue around the inside leaving unattractive hardened lumps of product around the inside of the lid.
Application: the consistency of the product feels like normal body cream and is pale in colour. The cream goes on smoothly and actually feels quite luxurious on the skin. The cream takes absolutely ages to run in though, and if you dress less than 30-60 minutes after its applied the tan will probably end up patchy. As the cream is pale in colour it makes it difficult to know when it's even, but as long as you've got the time and the patience to properly rub the cream in (especially around the knees and ankles!) you'll be fine. The scent of the cream is quite strong for my liking but it doesn't have that cornflakes/biscuit smell that fake tan normally has! One thing I found with the cream was that its quite stingy if applied right after I've shaved my legs, so the cream might not be suitable for those with sensitive skin.
Results: after 'airing' my legs for a few hours to finally let the cream dry I woke up with a lovely, even golden glow. Even though I used the lightest shade I felt that one application was enough for my pale skin which I was happy about as I don't always have the time to sit around and let a product dry. My skin was left with a supple softness for a good few days without having to reapply any other body creams which I found impressive.
Conclusion: a good reliable cream if you want a healthy looking glow. Suitable for pale skin although be careful you don't go too far! Feels quite luxurious although the product takes far too long to absorb and the scent might be too strong for some, but overall a good product.
Summary: Reliable product if you have the time and patience!
More reviews in the field of Sun Care
- Nourishing, subtle glow moisturiser but fairly strong scent!
- Sticky, orange, streaky skin with an awful biscuit smell
- Don't Let Your Skin Dry Out!
- Don't forget those sensitive areas
- Cuticura cures my foot problems
- Smells like summer!
- Im Pleasantly Surprised!
- A gradual tanning lotion that actually works!
- Orange and streaky - pale people beware!
- Say hello to radiant skin!
- Guerlain Terracotta Jambes de Gazelle
- Trilogy Self Tanning Instant Bronzing Gel
- Shiseido Brilliant bronze self tanning emulsion
- Estee Lauder Bronze Goddess Self Tanning Milk for Body
- St. Tropez Gradual Tan Everyday Face Light/Medium
- Clarins Radiance Plus Self Tanning Cream Gel
- Sisley Phyto Touche Tinted Body Gel
- Sisley Self Tanning Hydrating Body Skin Care
- Sisley Self Tanning Hydrating Facial Skin Care
- Sisley Sun Glow Gel