Newest Review: ... and I was like 'mum, how can you spend that much on tickets..I hope it better be a good show or it's a total waste of money!' my mum ... more
Member Name: HollieSpolly
Advantages: Fun and exciting with great musical numbers
I first went to see Hairspray at The Shaftesbury Theatre in December 2007. Being on a school trip and having spent most of the night before partying in the hotel, I was not particularly awake when I went to see the show and didn't pay much attention! However, when I went to see the show again in mid 2008, I enjoyed it a lot more as I actually watched it properly!
The great thing about Hairspray is it is so highly energetic and fun. The vibrant, colourful characters make it great to watch, and a wonderful story to follow. There was barely anyone left sitting down at the end of the show during 'You Can't Stop the Beat'.
Michael Ball really shone in his role as Edna, and the duet 'You're Timeless to Me' with Mel Smith was hugely entertaining and very funny.
I also felt that Leanne Jones made an impressive debut as Tracy - she really brought the character to life and made the story believable.
Ben James Ellis played a great Link Larkin and Johnnie Fiori was sensational as Motormouth Maybelle.
Without wanting to spoil the ending too much for you - the 'explosive' final number of the show was fantastic and exciting to watch even though I knew how the show was going to end!
I would recommend 'Hairspray' to anyone who wants a fun, feel-good night at the theatre - you won't be disappointed.
Summary: An energetic and fun family show
More reviews in the field of Theatre / Musical National
- "For I am nothing, if not critical" (Othello, Act II Scene I)
- Theatre Royal
- The kiss-and-tell tale of Roxie Hart and Velma Kelly.
- The Fab local theatre
- Come on babe, why don't we paint the town?
- A great show, but Take That don't need Robbie!
- It certainly did NOT suck to be me tonight .
- Did y'hear the story of the Johnstone twins?
- The Cliffs Pavilion (Southend-On-Sea)
- Starlight Express 2012 (UK Tour)
- Conversations with Penn & Teller (IndigO2, London)
- Disney On Ice: Passport To Adventure
- Madagascar Live
- Disney On Ice: Worlds Of Fantasy
- The People's Theatre (Newcastle upon Tyne)
- Moscow City Ballet: Swan Lake (UK Tour)
- Nottingham Playhouse (Nottingham)
- Highbury Little Theatre (Sutton Coldfield, West Midlands)