Newest Review: ... and I was like 'mum, how can you spend that much on tickets..I hope it better be a good show or it's a total waste of money!' my mum ... more
Its a blast
Member Name: Ninno
Advantages: Good catchy songs with many a jog to move along to.
Disadvantages: None - its great.
I went to see Hairspray in London back in May when Michael Ball was the lead and can honestly say that I have never enjoyed myself so much. Sitting in the stalls , below the dress circle, the theatre felt like an intimate building. It was only when I went to get my ice cream during the interval that I realised how big Shaftesbury Theatre actually is.
From the moment that the curtains opened and Tracey Turnblad (played by Leanne Jones) stood in her "bed" and sang "Good Morning Baltimore" I knew that we were in for a treat.
The basic story is that Tracy is a large girl who wants to dance on a hit TV dance show. The story is set against a tale of apartheid in sxties America and is one of how dreams can turn into reality. Ben James Ellis (from the TV talent show "Any Dream Will Do") played the male lead role of Link Larkin whilst I was bowled over by the performance given by Verity Rushworth (latterly of Emmerdale fame) who took the role of Penny Pingleton - Tracey's best friend.
But, of course, it was Michael Ball who stole the show with his larger than life portrayal of Edna - Tracey's mother. One member of the audience was heard to say "that Edna - she's not really fat is she - I saw her legs and they are quite trim". When I mentioned that the character was played by a man she was dumfounded!
This is a tale of racial integration, a refusal to be bound by convention and having the courage to follow your dreams. The music is wonderfully joyful and the dancing is excellent. I enjoyed myself so much that I have booked to see the touring production of Hairspray when it hits Manchester.
I recommend that you all get tickets if you can - its a riot!
Summary: A real feel good musical - with a real message to think about.
More reviews in the field of Theatre / Musical National
- Are You Ready For This Review?
- Visual spectacle
- A must see west end show!
- A musical which surprised
- Great plays plus free events
- Blown away with this Journey Through Time.
- Wish you were here?
- Taylor made for Burton
- Dublin, Manchester, Glasgow and the rest of you I am jealous!!!!
- And Iiiiiiiiiiiii will always love youuuuuuuuuu! *sheds a tear*
- The Cliffs Pavilion (Southend-On-Sea)
- The Gruffalo's Child
- The Tiger Who Came To Tea Stage Show
- Sweeney Todd at the Adelphi Theatre
- Tim Minchin at the Eden Sessions (England)
- Conversations with Penn & Teller (IndigO2, London)
- UK Pink Floyd Experience
- Madagascar Live
- Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty
- The Bodyguard at the Adelphi Theatre