Newest Review: ... round and round all evening. I did enjoy it and was glad I saw it, but think I was expecting more. Les Miserables is currently on at t... more
Les Miserables won't leave you feeling miserable.
Member Name: durhamapple
Advantages: Great storyline, amazing songs, great staging.
Disadvantages: A touch expensive perhaps.
Though i've seen a fair amount on stage, this is the best production I have ever seen. It's an all sung story, not something I'm normally a fan of but the songs are memorable and moving and the storyline is easy to follow. Set in revolutionary France, a runaway convict called Jean Valjean escapes from his prison sentence and vows to live by the straight and narrow against the backdrop of social unrest. It doesn't sound particularly appealing but the story is so moving, tackling love, death, social upheaval and desperation, that it leaves you with a lump in your throat and a tear in your eye. The westend version has some incredible special effects and staging and without doubt the fight sequence of the people against the authorities during the revolution is the best slow motion sequence i've seen on stage. If you're looking for something to see at the westend then go and see this. It's a show that has it all, it's inspiring, classy and technologically impressive.
Summary: A true Westend theatre gem-go and see it!
More reviews in the field of Theatre / Musical National
- Classic musical, classic songs - a great theatre experience
- Revamped Belgrade
- Take Me To Heaven
- Starlight Express, answer me 'Yes!'
- IT WILL ROCK YOU!
- A great show, but Take That don't need Robbie!
- It certainly did NOT suck to be me tonight .
- Did y'hear the story of the Johnstone twins?
- The Tiger Who Came To Tea Stage Show
- Sweeney Todd at the Adelphi Theatre
- Disney On Ice: Disneyland Adventure
- UK Pink Floyd Experience
- Matthew Bourne's Sleeping Beauty
- The Bodyguard at the Adelphi Theatre
- Becky Shaw
- Horrible Histories Egyptians and Romans Stage Show
- The X Factor Live 2011
- Boulevard (Newcastle upon Tyne)