Newest Review: ... a pleasant way to spend a few hours but not amazing, maybe I went in with too higher expectations. Phantom of the Opera is currently... more
Not so phantastic...
Phantom of the Opera
Member Name: kcsevenoaks
Phantom of the Opera
Advantages: Good Effects
Disadvantages: Dragging Story
This show has been running for 25 years now and recently had a concert in the Royal Albert Hall to celebrate this fact. I had high hopes about seeing the current London production after hearing how amazing it was, and after seeing its sequel "Love Never Dies" (yes I know I saw them the wrong way round!).
The basic premise is that the Opera House in Paris is "haunted" by a Phantom who gets up to all sorts of mischief, like causing scenery to crash down and even as far as murder and kidnap if the shows and house aren't run to his specification and he doesn't receive a cut of the money. Then comes along a new starlet in the character of Christine which he falls in love with, insist she plays the main part, kidnaps her, writes music for her and so the story goes on.
The music on the whole is nice but I did feel the story dragged quite a bit. The staging is good with the fairly intimate Her Majesty's Theatre adding to the atmosphere. I was however impressed with the chandelier part, but I will say no more as not to give the surprise away. There are some good uses of special effects which probably look great from a bit further away than I was sitting (second row in the stalls.)
Overall a pleasant way to spend a few hours but not amazing, maybe I went in with too higher expectations.
Phantom of the Opera is currently playing at Her Majesty's Theatre on The Haymarket, Closet tube Piccadilly Circus and mainline train Charring Cross. The show lasts roughly 3hrs with one 20min interval.
Summary: An ok musical
More reviews in the field of Theatre / Musical National
- King's Theatre..Not Too Far From Glasgow City Centre!
- Blown away with this Journey Through Time.
- A step too far?
- Scarily Good
- A ROARing sucess fit for a King???
- An Amazing Technicolour experience or a dull flop???
- Wish you were here?
- Theatre Severn Shrewsbury - A Local Theatre with a big heart
- Shades of Twilight
- Taylor made for Burton
- The Cliffs Pavilion (Southend-On-Sea)
- The Tiger Who Came To Tea Stage Show
- Sweeney Todd at the Adelphi Theatre
- Tim Minchin at the Eden Sessions (England)
- Conversations with Penn & Teller (IndigO2, London)
- Rockin on Heavens Doors
- Halfway To Paradise - The Billy Fury Story
- Mr Men & Little Misses
- Seven Brides for Seven Brothers
- West End Nights Broadway Lights