Newest Review: ... kids being rather upset. We visited Blackpool Zoo last year and the range of animals was much better. In Edinburgh Zoo, there are no elep... more
Sad place to visit
Member Name: loulou123
Advantages: great views, fab penguin pool
Disadvantages: depressing animals, small enclosures, very very hilly
I went on a special trip from the South Coast to Edinburgh just to go to the zoo, as i had always wanted to see a polar bear.
Hmmm, not so sure im glad i did. From outside the zoo looks impressive, but as soon as we had paid our money things went downhill.
It was a relatively warm day for edinburgh in January, yet hardly any of the animals were visable. The new monkey enclosure was closed for maintance, the lemur walk way was empty of lemars and even the otters seemed to have gone off somewhere for the winter.
The polar bear id longed to see, looked old and pathetic, in an enclosure that was way too small and badly needed attention. And all it made me feel was sad, that this magnificant animal had been reduced to this. The tigers and snow leopard also had a tiny enclosure, which was in my opinion bordering on cruel.
The penguin pool, however was fantastic and provided the chance to see all the species of penguins together, and up very close, this in my opinion saved the zoo in my mind slightly.
There is more old style fence and wire enclosures then you get in many zoos now, and the land itself seems to be rundown.
The view of Edinburgh from the top of the hill walk, is breathtaking however, but not really why youd come to a zoo in the first place.
Summary: worth a visit if your nearby, but not worth a special trip
More reviews in the field of Theme Park / Zoo National
- Wonderful in the winter
- Thorpe Park, great for thrill seekers
- hard to find but worth a visit
- Chessington-perfect for all ages
- Over hyped over priced and over here!
- Three attractions, one price! Flambards
- Fantastic family zoo!
- Great day out for little ones
- A good zoo but looking a bit tired.
- White Post Farm Centre (Farnsfield)
- Monks Park Farm (Yorkshire)
- Wetlands Animal Park (Nottinghamshire)
- Tayto Park (Kilbrew)
- Go Ape! Wyre Forest (Worcestershire)
- Crocodiles of the World (Oxfordshire)
- Galloway Wildlife Conservation Park (Scotland)
- Apple Jacks The Amazing Adventure Park (Stretton)
- York Maze (York)
- Funland (Hayling Island)