Newest Review: ... kids being rather upset. We visited Blackpool Zoo last year and the range of animals was much better. In Edinburgh Zoo, there are no elep... more
Member Name: bluemoon37
Advantages: Lots to do, reasonable prices, family friendly
Disadvantages: The hill
Ediburgh Zoo has become a special treat for me and my goddaughter, whenever I visit her.
The cost of entry is reasonable - £12.50 for an adult. £10.50 for a concession, £8.50 for a child and unders 3's are free. The Zoo also takes two for one vouchers and free child with each paying adult. There are also options of discounted tickets for familys of different sizes and annual membership, which involves free entry for year, free parking and various other discounts.
The prices aren't too bad for a special day out compared to a theme park, it's a bargin. Usually we bring our own picnic lunch, as lunch in the cafe can add up but we do buy little souvenirs from the shop.
After paying you will be given a map of the park and be informed of any shows or talks that are going on throughout the day - I particularly recommend the penguin and pig show. I never knew that you could train a pig to sit!
The Zoo isn't massive but it does have a wide variety of animals and is located on a very steep hill, which can be very tiring for little children or parents having to push the buggy. However, the Zoo does offer a "Hilltop Safari" bus, which runs from the entrance to the top of the hill. The Zoo has many toilet stops, which are essential and kiosks with reasonable priced drinks and ice-creams.
Now to the animals, it isn't anything impressive but the kids seem to enjoy them. They have the usual animals but also farmyard animals. Wolfs, penguins, lions, pigs to name a few and some more exotic creatures. The talks are informative and the shows are entertaining. Overall, I would say a great family day out that the kids will definately enjoy.
Summary: A great family day out.
More reviews in the field of Theme Park / Zoo National
- The highlight of Kettering, which isn't saying much...
- A nice way to spend the morning
- If you love animals....Get A Membership!!!!!
- Compare the meerkat
- A good day out for famiies with young children
- Crouching tiger, komodo dragon
- Flamingo Land
- Wookey hole review
- Brilliant for the kids!!!!
- Amaze yourself
- Monks Park Farm (Yorkshire)
- Wetlands Animal Park (Nottinghamshire)
- Tayto Park (Kilbrew)
- Marine Aquarium (Lyme Regis)
- Crocodiles of the World (Oxfordshire)
- Butterfly Farm (Stratford-upon-Avon)
- Whipsnade Wild Animal Park (Bedfordshire)
- Longleat Safari Park (Wiltshire)
- Camelot Theme Park (Lancashire)
- Blue Planet Aquarium (Cheshire)