Newest Review: ... kids being rather upset. We visited Blackpool Zoo last year and the range of animals was much better. In Edinburgh Zoo, there are no elep... more
not for animal lovers
Member Name: wee-bobby23
Advantages: animals studies are top notch
Disadvantages: animal enclosures are disgusting.
Now i love all animals from the every small like my pet cockroaches to the very large like a sperm whale but when i first went to Edinburgh zoo when i was only 6 years old it wasn't the cheerful experience it should have been. Every 6 or so years since i have gone with my partner and it the care the animals get has steadily gotten worse granted the cafes,talks,shop etc are miles better each time but the animals that should be in huge enclosures are stuck in tiny cages (like the jaguar and lynx) while the animals that don't need a massive amount of room(like the pygmy hippos) have a enclosure twice the size of the larger animals.
Thankfully the polar bears are no longer at the zoo because i have never seen a more depressed animal in all my life it was kept in a concrete enclosure with a moat of murky,dirty water with bits of rubbish floating in and generally just lay there looking very depressed.
The zoo does have its good points the painted hunting dogs and lions both have very large enclosures with viewing platforms and the African plain at the top of the park is huge with zebras and other African originate animals. The 2 main good points about the park is the world famous penguin parade where the emperor penguins take a leisurely stroll around a field near their enclosure to the delight of young and old, the bodongo trail is the other fantastic feature along with the living links they study primates and explain the links between us and them. Seeing the primates playing is a bonus aswell.
To end i wouldn't recommend Edinburgh zoo there are definitely better zoos in the uk that have more suitable enclosures for the animals and Edinburgh is on a hill side so if you are going wear the right shoes i advise that on experience.
Summary: there are better zoos for the animal treatment but their study program is ace
More reviews in the field of Theme Park / Zoo National
- A Disgrace!
- The highlight of Kettering, which isn't saying much...
- If you love animals....Get A Membership!!!!!
- In the jungle the mighty jungle, the lion sleeps tonight....Join in everyone.
- CHEAP(ISH) WELSH THRILLS!
- Will you survive?
- "GOATS, PLEASE FORM AN ORDERLY QUEUE FOR FOOD"
- We're going to the zoo, how about you? We hope you come too.
- Sealife London
- Brilliant for the kids!!!!
- White Post Farm Centre (Farnsfield)
- Monks Park Farm (Yorkshire)
- Wetlands Animal Park (Nottinghamshire)
- Hamerton Zoo Park (Sawtry)
- Marine Aquarium (Lyme Regis)
- Go Ape Aberfoyle (Scotland)
- Crocodiles of the World (Oxfordshire)
- Old Holly Farm (Preston)
- Woodside Wildlife and Falconry Park (Lincoln)
- Valhalla (Blackpool Pleasure Beach)