Newest Review: ... as many of the habitats were empty, and there were alot of areas that were closed off and being worked on. Their new reptile house appears... more
Small Zoo, but potential to be great (undergoing works currently - April 2010)
Isle of Wight Zoo
Member Name: KaribouFluff
Isle of Wight Zoo
Advantages: Winston the Pig! White Lion, big cats!
Disadvantages: not enough pigs... some habitats were empty with no explanation
I visited the Zoo over the Easter Weekend. I did enjoy the visit and the Animals are well cared for and alot of thought seems to have gone into the habitat of the animals. It seems, however that they are currently undergoing some works to improve the Zoo, as many of the habitats were empty, and there were alot of areas that were closed off and being worked on. Their new reptile house appears to be almost finished, and there is now an area explaining what the site was used for in World War 2. There are many tigers, and a magnificent white lion, lemurs and moneys, however my favourite was the humble Pig, called Winston (I love Pigs). There is a farm type area which is quite small, but it houses the fabulous Winston, some ridiculously large rabbits, Guinea Pigs (which are in fact the source of all evil) and goats.
There is a BBQ area, and a cafe, and a gift shop with all manor of cuddly creatures for sale. The toilets were a bit scruffy though. It's around £8 to get in, and unfortunately you also have to pay for the parking in the pay and display car park outside the Zoo, which was £3... a bit unfair when you're already paying to get in!
The Zoo has some great potential once all the planned works are complete and the building site look to it has been cleaned up! They do need more pigs though....!
Summary: Nice for a few hours out, but don't travel all the way to the IOW just to see this
More reviews in the field of Theme Park / Zoo National
- Nice day out for everyone
- hard to find but worth a visit
- A wonderful day out for all the family I can't recommend it enough
- "The day in the country thats out of this world!"
- Ewe can have lots of fun here!
- The closest many people will ever get to amazing animals
- A good zoo but looking a bit tired.
- Ee-e-e-um-um-a-weh... Ee-e-e-um-um-a-weh!!!
- Interact with penguins
- White Post Farm Centre (Farnsfield)
- Monks Park Farm (Yorkshire)
- Wetlands Animal Park (Nottinghamshire)
- Tayto Park (Kilbrew)
- Crocodiles of the World (Oxfordshire)
- Butterfly Farm (Stratford-upon-Avon)
- Longleat Safari Park (Wiltshire)
- Camelot Theme Park (Lancashire)
- Blue Planet Aquarium (Cheshire)
- Monkey World (Dorset)