Newest Review: ... sorts of weird and wonderful creatures. Hall one contains the animals that are currently involved in London Zoo's conservation projects. ... more
London Zoo - An expensive waste of time.
Member Name: yood
Date: 23/08/06, updated on 24/08/06 (1855 review reads)
Advantages: None any more.
Disadvantages: Costly admission prices to a zoo with few interesting animals and many sections and stalls empty.
The admission prices are already expensive at £13 per adult, £10 per child, but then the ticket sellers force you to pay an extra £1.50 'optional donation'. It's hard to stand up to them to avoid this 'donation'. Car parking is expensive at £9.
(Note that the prices at £9 adults, £7 children shown at the top of the London Zoo review page are way out of date.)
Visiting the zoo was frustrating because the zoo had so few exhibits and few interesting animals.
- The aquarium had pictures of fish instead of the fish, and many of the tanks were empty.
- The birds area was mostly empty, with lots of closed exhibits, some labelled as closed because the birds were nesting, but others that seemed empty were unlabelled.
- There were no elephants. This has been the case for a while, and has been mentioned by other reviewers, but seems a shocking omission.
- There were no gorillas - the whole section is boarded off and under development.
- The bugs area was also under development.
- There are none of the exotic animals like pandas any more.
- Many of the animals that were present stayed out of view.
- The food was pricey like the admission (but this is normal for such places).
- The zoo is difficult to get to, as it is at the north end of Regents Park in the middle of London. Getting there involves a drive into congested central London and parking at £9, or using the tube to Baker Street with a long walk the length of Regents Park, or using the tube to Camden Town with an almost as long walk from there to the zoo.
- The opening hours are quite short, from 10:00 to 17:30 , 18:00 or 18:30 depending on the time of year, with last admission one hour before closing time.
Avoid London Zoo. Natural and safari parks like Longleat are much better for animals, and places like Sea Life much better for fish and other sea creatures.
Summary: Visiting London Zoo was a total waste of time and money.
More reviews in the field of Theme Park / Zoo National
- White Post Farm Centre (Farnsfield)
- The Cornish Bird of Prey Centre (Cornwall)
- Wetlands Animal Park (Nottinghamshire)
- Tayto Park (Kilbrew)
- Dartmoor Otters and Buckfast Butterflies Sanctuary (Devon)
- Marine Aquarium (Lyme Regis)
- Crocodiles of the World (Oxfordshire)
- Active Kid Toys and Adventure Park (Perthshire)
- Porfell Wildlife Park and Sanctuary (Cornwall)
- Cefn Mably Farm Park (Cardiff)