Newest Review: ... entrance to the park and any money made here also contributes to the running of the park. The park itself receives no funding from ou... more
Kid Friendly, Pocket Friendly and Ghostbusting too?!
Mistley Place Park (Essex)
Author Name: Mistley Maniac
Mistley Place Park (Essex)
Advantages: Clean, Cheap, Child Friendly, Paranormal friendly, Historic Site
Disadvantages: Disabled access limited - woodlands.
Mistley Place Park Animal Rescue Centre is a brilliant location for a day out with the kids. This kid friendly venue runs solely on donations and cares for aging and unwanted animals from Essex and beyond.
Little ones can while away the hours feeding rabbits, goats, horses, pigs, sheep...in fact, if it moves, you can feed it! The location is easy on the budget too, feed for the animals is just 50p and the entry is neglible. All proceeds go towards the running of the centre and Mike and his team do such a brilliant, and largely unsung job.
The tea rooms, run by Mike's brother and his partner make what is possibly the best cream tea in three counties, the tea is hot and plentiful and there are a variety of snacks, meals and refreshments available.
Warm in winter and refreshingly cool in Summer, the tea room has books, toys and plenty to keep adults and kids happy. The toilets are kept clean and well stocked and the staff are all friendly an knowledgable.
The location is also the site of the infamous Ducking Pond, historic site of Matthew Hopkins (The Witchfinder General) swimming of the witches.
Local Essex company Phantom Encounters Ltd www.phantomencounters.co.uk regularly run ghost hunting events in the woods and pond area, proceeds of which go to the rescue centre. Recently, strange mists and the figure of a woman in a red capelet have been seen on these tours...not for the feint of heart, but worth an evening in the woods.
Phantom Encounters also run a childrens Halloween event at Mistley on the Saturday usually from 11am, where kids get to participate in dress-up competitions, drawing and colouring competitions and go on a mini ghost hunt in the woods.
The saturday night however, is for adults as the ghosts of Mistleyy Place Park are tempted into the woodland to meet you on the tracks and trails with the Phantom Encounters team.
Summary: A brilliant location with a secret past and a bright future!
More reviews in the field of Theme Park / Zoo National
- LOVELY SOFT PLAY AREA AND ALSO HAS A SMALL ANIMAL PARK
- Thorpe Park
- Flight of fancy, I think not
- Swing through the trees like a Monkey!
- Head bashing, bone shaking good time
- Expensive, Dirty & Dangerous
- Too much even for the fish fanatic
- Gulliver's World - A Mix of Good and Not So Good
- A fabulous day out for families x
- Chester Zoo. Great place to visit.
- Mr Twisters (Consett)
- White Post Farm Centre (Farnsfield)
- Monks Park Farm (Yorkshire)
- Wetlands Animal Park (Nottinghamshire)
- Marine Aquarium (Lyme Regis)
- Crocodiles of the World (Oxfordshire)
- Giants Den (Gateshead)
- The Big Sheep (Abbotsham, Bideford)
- Chestnut Centre Otter and Owl Sanctuary (Chapel-en-le-Frith, Derbyshire)
- Amazonia (Motherwell, Scotland)