Newest Review: ... the welfare of the animals is clearly at the heart of everything that the zoo does. The enclosures are large and none of the animals seem... more
A fantastic zoo
Paignton Zoo (Devon)
Member Name: deborahw91
Paignton Zoo (Devon)
Advantages: Educational, fun, emphasis on conservation
Disadvantages: None to speak of!
I grew up near Torbay, so many of my childhood memories involve going to Paignton Zoo for day trips, family birthdays and school trips. Everytime I was remarkably impressed, particularly when I compare it to other zoos I have been to.
Firstly, and perhaps most importantly, the welfare of the animals is clearly at the heart of everything that the zoo does. The enclosures are large and none of the animals seem miserable or 'captured'. Paignton runs several conservation projects with endangered species; the main purpose does seem to be the preservation of species rather than our entertainment.
However, it is also a brilliant place to go from that 'entertainment' perspective. There's a fantastic range of animals and information about each one, so it's also highly educational. The zoo is well laid out, meaning that one can either plan to see area by area, or wander around aimlessly; either approach works. For more regular visitors, they can focus on one part of the zoo on different occasions, as it is divided up by habitat.
Asides from the animals themselves, there is also an indoor children's play area, with a cafe area for grown ups, several outdoor play areas, an education centre, a well-stocked shop and several food outlets.
All in all this is a perfect place to go for a day out, even for people who are normally made to feel uncomfortable by the concept of zoos.
Summary: A brilliant day out
More reviews in the field of Theme Park / Zoo National
- You'll not want to go home before sun down
- Dartmoor zoo
- A great day out even for big kids!
- You'll be Badgered to return! Billy Badgers Play Den. Moreton Park Hotel Chirk
- Thomas Land
- Meeting The Creatures Of The Sea...
- Cold day out on the farm
- Too much even for the fish fanatic
- Gulliver's World - A Mix of Good and Not So Good
- A fabulous day out for families x
- Amazonia World Of Reptiles (England)
- The Ark Open Farm (County Down)
- Blackbrook Zoo (Staffordshire)
- Monks Park Farm (Yorkshire)
- Loch Lomond Sea Life Aquarium (Loch Lomond, Scotland)
- Oakwood Park (Narbeth, Pembrokeshire)
- Wetlands Animal Park (Nottinghamshire)
- Tayto Park (Kilbrew)
- Marine Aquarium (Lyme Regis)
- Crocodiles of the World (Oxfordshire)