I have used this toaster for over 5 years and like it very much. Being digital there are no knobs to twiddle. It toasts well but the centre element(double sided) does not heat as much as the outers , causing different levels of browning on the sides of the bread. This can be used to advantage when required. Apart from looking great there are some weaknesses . First the heating element was loosely wound and on two occasions shorted to the toast retainers causing the RCCO to trip taking the electric supply out. Second the toast retainer springs are a little weak and do not always close to the toast. Recently the electronic module failed on one side which was due to a failed zener which I replaced and it worked again.
However the centre heating element on the LHS has failed. Unfortunately this is non repairable due to welded terminations, but the two outer elements are functioning. Inside the unit is a neat layout of wiring with easy access to the electronic modules supplied with plug and socket connections. However access to the heating elements requires a total strip down of the framework. In general this toaster has given good service and I would replace it with another in chrome if available.
I first got this toaster about 4 years ago. It was very powerful and very quick to make toast. I loved the digital screen feature because it was so easy and simple to use.
However, during 4 years, I have had three of these toasters, and my current one still only works on one side, and even then, it isn't very good. I have to have the setting on very high for it to work, and I have to turn the toast over because it cooks it unevenly. It has been a constant inconvenienced to me.
If I could get this toaster to work properly, I would love it. But, I would say to save your money and buy something different. I personally would recommend a more basic toaster because toasters with more gadgets and gizmos on are bound to go round quite quickly. All you need is something that makes toast. What else do you want?
I have really liked this toaster. I got it three years ago on my wedding list and haven't had a single problem with it. It is mid price range and does everything I personally would want it to do so I have no issues with it.
Looks wise, it fits in well with any kitchen as it is just stainless steel so it isn't over styled but at the same time, looks a lot nicer than your budget ones. I have a high gloss black kitchen so it goes really well, with all my other stainless steel appliances as it looks very modern, but not at all space age and clinical. The type of appliance which looks good without you feeling the need to never use it (or at least constantly clean it).
It is four slice which is great when doing toast for two as I don't have to faf around with grillpans in the oven. And it doesn't take up much more room than a single toaster. It aslo has all the settings, frozen, bagel etc. And 5 levels. Each side has its own settings tool, so you can do warm bread on one side while getting utterly destroyed toast on the other, perfect whe two of you like your toast completely different. And it remembers the settings until next time.
It of course has crumb trays at the bottom too, one for each side, which are really easy to slip out, brush the crumbs into the bin, and slip back into the bottom of the toaster.
All in all, I have been very pleased.
Recently I have moved housee and had to buy all the essentials - to me there is nothing more essential than a toaster, toast is my friend if not my waistlines friend!!
I hate waiting around for toast and if you are eating together I dislike that either one persons toast goes cold or that you end up not eating together which is why I bought a 4 slice toaster this time!
A mid-range priced toaster between £35-40 which has (so far) worked well!
- Stainless steel toaster, looks good with other chrome/stainless steel appliances and as more and more appliances (including washing machines/dishwashers/fridgers) tend to be a silvery colour it fits well with most kitchens. My main problem with it being stainless steel is that it shows up fingerprints and I feel like I have to constantly wipe it down (my tip, a little bit of baby oil on kitchen roll - no idea why it works but it does)
- Quite a bulky toaster, like you had sat two 2 slice toasters side by side, rather than end on end. To be honest I prefer this to the old standard toasters as I personally find "chunky" appliances nicer to look at (all a matter of personal taste!) and I find it sits great beside my microwave (they tell me they are now the best of friends!)
- Clear digital display on the side, and all the buttons are clear and pass the make sense test, unlike previous toasters I've had where I have had to have a bit of trial and error to what they mean! They are all clear to see even when I haven't got my glasses on!
- 4 slices of toast at any one time, you can't go wrong! But for those mornings where I get up late and my boyfriend has already left for work, I can just pop 2 slices in and push just one lever down rather than both sides of the toaster being on!
- Levers are ergonomically designed and easy to push down, I don't find that they stick at all
- I like my toast to be warm bread whereas my partner likes his wuite dark - as there are 2 separate "grills" we can have separate settings, easily done via the digital display (e.g. I have my toast on a "2" setting and he has his on a "6" and they are done at practically the same time rather than the fiddling round you do on a 2 slice machine, up high for the first person, turn it right down for the next lot of toast and you don't eat breakfast together!)
- During the week we tend to freeze bread and use as and when we need to save it going mouldy and being thrown in the bin, the fact you can cook the bread straight from frozen on the "defrost" setting has been a lifesaver, no more throwing it in the microwave to defrost and ending up with soggy bread that doesn't look too appealing when you chuck it in the toaster!
- A muffin warmer! Need I say more? You simply place this on top of the toaster and you get toasty warm muffins - great treat for winter (not that it is winter anymore! Though tell that to the weather outside!)
- Quite wide toast slots, I tend to use the toaster to actually toast bagels, I find this toaster easily accomodates the bagels without them getting stuck and no banging about to get them out due to the extra "pop up" you can get by lifting the lever - fewer breadcrumbs to clean up!
- Easy to clean crumb tray which just slots out and in, so when you move the toaster about you aren't transporting half a loaf of bread with you (handy if you tend to move a lot!)
- Although I have raved about this toaster it isn't all fantastic and I find that as with many modern toasters my bread just does not fit in properly and I have to turn it part way through cooking. Whilst this doesn't bother me so much (because as I said above I basically like warm bread) it does bother my partner who likes "real toast" so it is a pain to turn the bread part way through cooking, but I have found this with most modern toasters - either toasters are getting smaller or bread is getting bigger!
- A stylish addition to any kitchen, mid range price makes it affordable and the 4 slice, differing heat setting, option has meant I have been able to enjoy many weekend breakfasts with the other half despite disagreeing on how toast tastes best!!
I had been looking for a new toaster for a bit and as im not a huge fan of toast decided to pay for a middle of the range type not too expensive or too cheap.
My previous temporary tesco value toaster i purchased after my old toaster blew up looked ugly in the kitchen and i wanted something to match my appliances.
In looks terms it is ok. The silver finish is shiny and looks well made. The buttons and dials on the side are sturdy and do appear to be good quality.
There are not too many buttons that you will be at a loss of what they are used for.
It has a defrost setting great for when you forget to get a loaf out of the freezer that works well popping up when the bread is warmed through.
The four toast sections are wide enough for crusty bread or rustic bread and can also fit crumpets and waffles in without scorching as i tried the other day. There is a crumb tray to stop little bits of bread falling into the bottom of the toaster and creating a burning smell every time you use your toaster.
There is a warming rack you can place on the top really nice for muffins or bagels.
There is a large cancel button for when you have the heat setting too high.
The downside of this toaster is that is burned alot of my toast even on the low heat settings.
It is powerful and heats up quickly however i usually prefer thin bread and this goes a dark brown on the low heat settings unless i stand infront of the toaster and press the cancel button half way through.
A nice looking toaster with good features however it burns bread easy.
A good toster at a good price, you can do up to 4 slices which is really handy ifyou have 2 or more children and you can control the browning setting so you can have your toast light or really cripsy is whch i love as i like mine in the middle. It has a defrost on it so its great if you have forgotten to take out the bread out of the freezer and the crumb tray is easy to clean. I would recommend this toaster if you looking for great toast at a good price
Breville TT49 4 slice Polished Stainless Steel Toaster Digital display LED toasting cycle indicator Independent 2 slice controls Electronic variable browning control Defrost setting Reheat facility Mid-cycle cancel feature Removable crumb tray / Short name: Breville TT49