Newest Review: ... sizes, these are 12.5g, 25g and 50g, It is available to buy in most newsagents, corner shops and supermarkets which sell tobacco produc... more
My favourite smoke
Member Name: skinzy
Advantages: Price, taste
Disadvantages: Papers arent always great
Having smoked most of the tobaccos on the market, i have to say that i usually end up back with Amber Leaf. There are a number of reasons for this;
1) The price - With the more popular tobaccos being £3 for 12.5 grams (Golden Virginia), i tend to stick to the cheaper alternatives. For a 25 gram pouch of Amber Leaf (includes papers) i pay just over £5 which i see as good value.
2) The quality - Despite being not the most expensive brand of tobacco on the market, i believe that Amber Leaf is a satisfying smoke that does not leave you with a sore throat (such as American Spirit). In my honest opinion, the taste is alot fuller than Golden Virginia and is in fact a nicer smoke.
3) Its not too dry - I have found with some tobaccos that they can be very dry and thus harsh on the throat. However, Amber Leaf does not dry out as fast as some tobaccos that i have smoked and is certainly a satisfying smoke.
4) Its easy to roll with - This is just a minor point that i have found. The cut of the tobacco makes it easier to roll with than tobaccos that are ribbon cut.
However, there are some things which bring it down;
1) The pouch is not resealable - This is not standard in most tobaccos however, some do have a resealable pouch which keeps the tobacco much fresher for longer (GV).
2) The papers do not come stuck to the pouch - On a 25/50 gram pouch the papers that are supplied do not come attatched to the pack which is slightly annoying as they have a tendancy of falling out when you undo the packaging.
3) Papers supplied arent great quality - I have found that the papers which are supplied with Amber Leaf may not always be of great quality. This is annoying on the one hand, however, you do get them free with the pouch when you buy it and so i suppose that i shouldnt complain about them really. They don't always have a great stick on them though.
Therefore, my conclusion would be to state that if you havent tried this tobacco yet then you definently should. It does have its weaknesses (as all other tobaccos do) but, i find that personally i prefer the taste of this tobacco in comparison to most other tobaccos.
Summary: Well worth trying