Newest Review: ... in a dark remote part of Scotland!) I phoned the AA, after some annoying automated menu's the phone rang, and rang, and rang - I waited 3... more
Conflicting Information All Round
The AA Breakdown Cover
Member Name: kjmccabe
The AA Breakdown Cover
Advantages: Did get my car started when i needed it
Disadvantages: Conflicting Information and Opinions Given my AA Men
I signed up with the AA a few months ago after I was having a few problems with the starter on my 2000 Volkswagen Golf. I have had to call them a few times since taking out my policy and have had a number of rather different experiences of their service which are discussed below.
Signing up for membership is very straight forward. Simply go to their website (www.aa.com) and choose the breakdown cover option. For breakdown cover there are several different elements of the service you need to be aware of and choose. These include:
- Roadside: The AA will come and fix your car if it breaks down on the roadside only if it is more than 1 mile from your home address.
- Homestart: The AA will come and get your car started if it is parked at or near home and wont start.
- Relay: If your car breaks down and cannot be fixed at the roadside, the AA will transport you and your passengers to where you need to get to.
- Parts and Labour: The cost of fixing your car at a garage is included in your policy.
I opted for the Roadside and Homestart option which cost me £90 for the year, however, I did get this through the topcashback website who were offering a special deal which meant I got £42 of that back so in essence it only cost me about £50. No sooner had I signed up, I needed to call them because my car wouldn't start. I called them from my mobile phone and after hearing a warning telling me to make sure I was in a safe place I was connected to an operator who asked for my name and address details. She then asked what was wrong with the car and asked me where I was. She informed me that there would be someone there to get the car started within 45 minutes and took my mobile number so that she could update me via text message of any delays.
45 minutes later, the AA van pulled up on my road and after inspecting the car, it was jump started my the AA van and the engineer told me I would need to get the battery replaced at a garage as it was something he could not do.
A few days later (as I had not got around to visiting the garage) the same thing happened again and I called the AA out once more, again they were at my doorstep within 45 minutes and after looking at the car, the engineer (a different person) told me that it was not the battery that was the problem. When I presented the sheet given to me by the other engineer telling me that the problem was the battery, the engineer quickly changed his mind and said that it was. This gave me the impression that one of the men didn't really know what he was talking about and a bit of confidence was lost in the AA. He explained to me that he could replace the battery for me but I would have to pay the cost of the parts. I said that was fine and asked him to do it, again I lost a bit of confidence as the previous engineer had told me that this was not something he could do which meant that I had to call the AA out a second time as the car wouldn't start a few days after he had looked at it.
Generally, since then I have had no problems with the car, and while the AA did get my car started on both occasions when I called them, I did find the conflicting information both about the problem and the services provided to be something of a worry. Be careful!
Summary: Worth Considering other options 1st!
More reviews in the field of Transport
- Kwik tyre
- Always punctual and reliable
- AVOID Never show up and do not refund you
- Support all the way through
- Parcel 2 go (but go where)
- Ripped off by Kwik Fit Glasgow branch
- The worst of the bunch ...
- Imperial Cars In Hamble, Southampton
- To be frank its game over as they lose their royal stamp of approval.
- Drive Dynamics - Poor Customer Service and Misleading Intentions to Help