Newest Review: ... where the Station Manager was standing waiting for us on the steps. The train was specially stopped just for us, hence it was a two m... more
Train travel in Scotland
Member Name: tangoman84
Advantages: Clean and comfortable trains, helpful and cheery staff, regular and punctual services
Disadvantages: Buses are cheaper and so I regularly avoid the train for this reason
First Scotrail is the rail company who currently have the franchise for all domestic passenger services for all of Scotland. The people who are the actual owners of the franchise are the First Group who also operate a large amount of the bus services within Scotland.
I live in a town situated about 30 minutes by train from Glasgow and so I fairly regularly use the local train services for getting about with a large amount of train stations offering a good variety of destinations on a fairly regular service.
The trains are all fairly well maintained and clean with plenty of comfortable seating on offer but on regular occassions you will find that you will not have a seat available especially during rush hour as the but this is due to the line being exceptionally popular both with commuters for work and shopping.
The trains are normally fairly punctual on the line which I travel regularly and I have also used the services to travel from Glasgow to Edinburgh and Glasgow to Stirling and have found good punctuality on these services too.
The staff on the trains are normally friendly, helpful and cheery which is something which I like as I hate being served anywhere by people who don't seem interested in being there.
Prices on many of the First Scotrail services are expensive but this is the same as anywhere in the UK and when put in a comparison to other areas the prices are actually considered reasonable.
- Good punctuality
- Clean and well maintained trains
- Regular services
- Quick services
- Helpful and cheerful staff
- Easy and varied ticket options
- Fairly good value for money
- Buses are still cheaper option for nearly all if not all travel in Scotland
First Scotrail offers a good service at competitive prices when compared to UK train averages. The trains are clean and comfortable and offer good travel times and a punctual and regular service.
Summary: A good train service with a great service standard
More reviews in the field of Transport National
- A highly positive experience
- Excellent - a sleeper service
- Bad Policies
- Finally, value for money on public tranpsort!!!
- An absolute must if travelling in London
- Maybe it's because I'm a Londoner......
- Megabus - low prices and excellent service
- Megabus UK bad service and price increases
- Thought I'd share a positive experience!!
- To Fort William on the Caledonian Sleeper Train Service - anecdotes of a great r ...