* Prices may differ from that shown
Review written in 2007 - using software version 3.3c
The specification of Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1100 is impressive. But does it live up to its claims?
The card has both an analogue and digital tuner (Freeview). The spec says you can record programmes and also has a FM Radio (not DAB radio).
Also, beware if you want to enjoy Digital TV, you must have a good reception with a quality roof aerial (better outdoor rather then indoor). Even if you can get Freeview in your living room, does not mean that your TV reception willnot be effected by the interference generated by your PC.
This is a great product, but let down by WinTV 2000 software. I know that people who have bought this TV Card, do end up buying third party software.
Although Hauppauge do update their software, it is in minor increments but nothing short of a radical improvment is needed.
The Digital picture quality is great (freeview), if you don't change channels but if you like channel surfing this this is is not the product for you. (you are better off with a external box)
Also, I wanted to use the card to convert my old videos to digital, but I have second thoughts.... I doubt the software will cope!
You can buy third party applications TV applications, but it is question of waiting until they support the HVR-1100. Many of these company are in the US, so don't suport UK cards as first choice. There is freeby program GB-PVR, which was much better then WinTV 2000....
WinTV Software Problems:-
- TV channel changing is slow
- Digital TV channel don't line up channels as per Freeview box
- TV Recording will slow machine down
- No Teletext (Analogue or Digital)
- EPG (this is a separate program) and pretty shoddy
- Would like to see weeks EPG and then pick and choose program to record.
- No autodetect for picture size e.g. 4:3 16:9 etc..
- analogue channel will not tune to video recorder
- software not intuitive
- Will not pick up analogue channels
- Some digital channels not picked up - sensitive to reception problems even in good reception areas
- Snapshot is quirky
- One Touch Pause - not very usuable
- does slow machine down (my old TV Wonder card, was less intensive).
To be honest, I am thinking about reverting to my trusty old ATI TV Wonder card (and then using an external digital Freeview box with TV Sender...).
I have read reviews on some other digital tuners and they seem lacking too! (e.g. MSI card).
My advice wait until technology improves....
Also, not sure if Dual Core PC, can allow one processor for TV and another for other things.
If you do get a program the Hauppague Forum is excellent.