Product Type: Euro TV channels
Newest Review: ... it nevertheless manages to touch upon world events, flashpoints and areas of dispute across the world, often doing so before they ... more
Whats happening around the world?
Member Name: sue.51
Date: 22/10/01, updated on 22/10/01 (2030 review reads)
Advantages: Information from around the world, See things you would not normally become aware of
Disadvantages: None that I am aware of
In light of the events since 11th September, most of us would have to have cut ourselves off from the media totally not to be able to answer that question.
I first encountered Euro News back in the heady days of Cable-Tel BEFORE they taken over by NTL at which point they chose to get rid of it. I was heartbroken, having elected to study subjects with a European/Worldwide focus during my HND (yes tell me to get a life if you want, Ciao wasn't around then!) - so imagine my joy and pleasure on August 24th, when flicking through my newly installed Sky Dish to discover that EuroNews had taken up residence on Channel 528 of Sky Digital.
So what do you get for your pennies? - Um, News!!!
For those who haven't encountered it, it is a a free to air rolling 24 hour news service broadcast in English in the UK, although I understand it is also broadcast in other European Languages (web-site suggests German, Italian, French, Portoguese, Italian and Russian) and runs to CET. The channel is supported by its web-site "www.euronews.net" in the same choice of languages.
SO WHAT MAKES THIS CHANNEL SO DIFFERENT?
Well, like most of its digital news counterparts it runs the full news every hour, with a headline update on the half hour; but in contrast to many other channels Euronews really does cover ALL world events, broadcasting things you will NEVER see on either mainstream channels or news channels such as News 24, Sky News and CNN -
Euronews also offers:
* No Visible TV Presenter
* Sport news (from footie to basketball, cricket and some more obscure (very) sporting events) and all traditional sports including football league news from around the UK and Europe;
* Major Arts & Music Events throughout Europe;
* Interviews with major film stars & Artists
* Major Fashion, Music and Film Events and Reviews;
* New Film Reviews and interviews with the stars; r>
* Financial Updates on markets and Reviews;
* Every couple of hours it has a slot called 'Perspective' that reports from TV channels throughout Europe, with translation into the appropriate language;
* Euronews covers in real time the weather hourly for every region of Europe and Asia,
* And the most compelling part of the channel is No-Comment - that selects a few roles of film from events (usually political) that have been going on in the world, and broadcasts them with natural recorded sound and no commentary - in the last few weeks, these have been limited primarily to events and the subsequent after-effects surrounding 11th September.
Euronews (for me at least) goes a long way to providing unbiased reporting on events, not just the major ones, that go on both around us in our daily lives and also with a much wider remit, and if you are fed up with the rolling predictableness of some of its counterparts, try it out and see for yourself - Channel 528, Sky Digital
Some of the pointers below were not really relevant to this channel.