Newest Review: ... DVD with twice the fun! My version was extended (Includes deleted scenes in the episodes) and was too rude for TV. I loved this DVD and fou... more
Oh, have you not heard? It was my understanding that everyone had heard...
Family Guy - Season 8 (DVD)
Member Name: candyfloss89
Family Guy - Season 8 (DVD)
Advantages: funny, outrageous, stewie, Brian and Peter are brillant characters
Disadvantages: Conway bloody Twitty - 3 whole minutes of this unfunny joke!!, Juice is loose = worst episode ever
Release date: 02-11-2009
Number of Discs: 3
Run Time: 320 minutes
Family Guy is an animated comedy which flollows the adventures of the Griffin family.
The Griffins are like any normal American family, mum, dad, 2 teenage children, a baby and a dog....except the dad's a bumbling idiot, the baby is an evil genius and the dog can talk.
Family Guy is as wickedly funny as it is offensive and took humour to a place where the Simpsons would never dare to go.
Cancelled twice, the shows cult status earned it a reprieve. This DVD features all the episodes from Season 8 of this cult comedy series.
- Back to the Woods: James Woods returns to seek revenge against Peter by attempting to steal Peter's identity.
- Play it Again Brian: Lois seems to finally have tired of her husbands behaviour... Meanwhile, Brian wins the New England Rising Writer's award, so the three of them head to Martha's Vineyard to celebrate his success.
- The Former Life of Brian: Brian discovers that he is father to a teenage son named Dylan.
- Long John Peter: When Peter gets a pet parrot, he begins to think he is a pirate.
- Baby Not On Board: When Peter wins free gas for a year, Brian suggests a road trip to the Grand Canyon - unfortunately for them they've left somebody behind....
- I Dream of Jesus: When Peter becomes completely obsessed with "Surfin' Bird", a 1963 song from the Trashmen, Brian and Stewie are determined to destroy every last copy of it and restore peace in the Griffin household. In his search for a replacement record, Peter bumps into Jesus.
- Love Blactually: Brian meets the girl of his dreams, Carolyn. However, unfortunately for him, Cleveland moves right in and sweeps Carolyn off her feet.
- Road to Germany: Mort Goldman accidentally steps into Stewie's time machine and finds himself back in 1939 Poland, in the middle of the Nazi invasion.
- The Man With the Two Brains: Realising that Brian may be getting old, Peter gets a newer, happier dog who the Griffins love. Feeling unwanted, Brian decides to leave,
- Tales of a Third Grade Nothing: Peter is forced to go back to the third grade to try and qualify for a promotion at work.
- Ocean's Three and a Half: Peter decides his neighbour Joe's wife has been pregnant for long enough. He decides to induce her so that Joe will now be free to spend more time with him.
- Family Gay: Peter is injected with the gay gene as part of a scientific experiment.
- The Juice is Loose: Peter comes across a 1989 raffle ticket he had forgotten to cash in, winning him a chance to play golf with OJ Simpson.
It's gotta be 'I dream of Jesus', which features Peter at his ridiculous and hilarious best. Whilst dining out with his family, Peter hears his favourite record from the 1960's and becomes obsessed with it, playing it continously round the home and even going to bed with it! It's left to Brian and Stewie to destroy the record and in Peter's quest to find a replacement, he bumps into Jesus working in a record store (Yes, really!).
This episode just showcases how strong a character Peter is in his own right and how much humour can come from such a simple concept (the idea of an overplayed record). Family Guy has a tendency to drag out unfunny jokes (Conway Twitty anyone?!) but the Surfin Bird gag isn't one of them. It's an episode I have watched several times and never tired off.
Noticeable mention also goes to 'Road to Germany', due to the fact that I love the relationship between Stewie and Brian.
The worst episode by far, is 'The juice is loose'. In fact, I'd possibly go as far as saying that it is the worst Family Guy episode EVER, not just in this season. Being english, there's lots of Family Guy references that I dont really 'get'. This is one of them. Offensive and unfunny, it features a 3 minute Conway Twitty gag. 3 minutes! To me that's just sloppy writing and irritating enough to put me off watching the entire episode.
It lets the rest of the boxset down and it's poor quality is all the more noticeable against the likes of 'I Dream of Jesus' and 'Road to Germany'.
If you haven't watched Family Guy before, I'd recommend you start by watching the earlier seasons which are undoubtedly funnier.
However, any existing Family Guy fans will enjoy this season. 'Juice is loose' aside, this is a strong collection of episodes which mainly focus on the shows stronger characters (Peter, Stewie, Brian) with little appearance from the weaker (Meg and Chris). 'I Dream of Jesus' is a classic and serves as a reminder that there is still life left in this show and it can still be brilliantly funny when it wants to be.
Some of the gags do go on a bit too long and some of the jokes and cultural references are aimed at American audiences and can therefore be lost on a UK audience but this boxset is still worth the money (priced at round about £11.99 in most places, as opossed to the £27 I paid when I first brought it).
Summary: Worth it just for 'I Dream of Jesus' alone. One of the stronger, later series of Family Guy
More reviews in the field of TV Series
- Chris Ryan's Strike Back Embodied in a TV Mini-Series
- Don't Mess With The Tachyons!
- You're A Womaniser, Your Majesty.
- Love It!
- "Howdy Ho!"
- The Time Travellers' Life
- A Snake in Elizabethan Clothing
- The (Inspirational) Start Of The River Cottage Empire
- Daleks, Death. Doctor - Who Needs Anything Else?
- Daleks, Doctor, UNIT - Nuff Said