Product Type: PX Software utilities
Newest Review: ... It does it very well. Windows doesn't start any slower and no problem appear. You can even made your own boot screen. Clean and Repai... more
Swiss army knife of programs 2
TuneUp Utilities 2008
Member Name: Shadowg
TuneUp Utilities 2008
Advantages: ability to customize widows look
Disadvantages: it isn't free and some functions are pretty useless
TuneUp Utilities 2008 is the second program that I use for maintenance of my computer. Again (similar to Glary utilities) it performs some functions that can be done with windows by default. But, again TunUp does them better. Let's look at some functions that can be done (again they are grouped by basic task):
Customize & Analyze
- -TuneUp SystemControl
- -TuneUp StartUp Manager
- -TuneUp System Information
- -TuneUp Styler 2
Enables you to set the basic look of windows interface. You can change logon screen, some icons, even boot screen. It does it very well. Windows doesn't start any slower and no problem appear. You can even made your own boot screen.
Clean and Repair
- TuneUp DiskCleaner
- TuneUp Disk Doctor
- TuneUp Disk Space Explorer
- TuneUp RegistryCleaner
There is nothing special here to say. It does plain windows stuff, but quicker and better.
Optimize and Improve
- TuneUp MemOptimizer (Monitors and optimizes free memory in the background)
- TuneUp RegistryDefrag (Corrects physical errors in the registry and defragments it)
- TuneUp System Optimizer (Checks your system for settings that might be slowing it down)
Again nothing special but useful stuff to be done from time to time. Again it's quicker and better from windows built in engines that do this stuff.
Manage and Control
- TuneUp Process Manager (instead of CTRL + ALT + DEL)
- TuneUp Registry Editor
- TuneUp Uninstall Manager (good but Glary ut. has better one)
This is the less useful section (at least for me. Process manager is not so user-friendly and Uninstall manager is nothing special (same as in windows). Registry editor is the only thing that is has some usefulness.
Recover and Erase
- TuneUp Shredder (Deletes files securely, ensuring that they cannot be recovered later)
- TuneUp Undelete (Recovers files that have been deleted from the Recycle Bin)
Nothing to add. Names of the functions say it all.
Overall this program has amazing ability to personalize the look and feel of the windows interface (even allows you to manage some context menu's - right click menu's). But it lakes the functionality in other areas. BUT combined with another maintenance program it's becomes a very useful toll. But the worse thing about it is that it isn't free.
Summary: Swiss army knife of programs 2
|Variety of features:|