Newest Review: ... so the balancing was done in addition to my monthly payment. Needless to say, I contacted EDF Energy about this again pointing out al... more
EDF Energy - beware of direct debit
Member Name: thefifth
Advantages: They reply quickly if they want to get rid of you
Disadvantages: Rubbish customer service, rubbish attitude, empty bank account with no notice
Just a warning to any other EDF Energy customers out there about the 'direct debit deal'. One of the terms of the deal is that they do an annual 'balancing' of the account and if you owe over £150 they will take this directly from your bank account via your direct debit. In my case they have done so without warning, so the first I knew about it was that my account was in overdraft and had been stripped of £379! I made a complaint to EDF Energy about this and received a fairly instantaneous reply pointing me to this part of their terms and conditions and stating 'you should have received an e-mail...' I've check my mails and haven't received one, I'm on paper billing and haven't received a bill. Also, I'd already received my annual account in February as that was the anniversary of my direct debit sign up. So:
- No notice given of additional payment to be taken,
- Annual 'balancing' was undertaken not on the anniversary (as per their T&Cs) but after a 16 month period
- No bill received
In addition my monthly direct debit payment had already been taken, so the balancing was done in addition to my monthly payment. Needless to say, I contacted EDF Energy about this again pointing out all of the ways in which they had failed to correctly deal with this transaction and I am still waiting for a reply. So if EDF want to fob you off they reply quickly, if they have a case to answer then you have to sit and wait around until they can be bothered coming back to you. In the meantime my account is in overdraft and, not surprisingly, I am switching to Scottish Power.
I am now going to claim the money back under the direct debit guarantee - but be warned if you're with EDF, they seem to think that the direct debit permits them to bleed your bank account dry with no warning. Not sure the 6% discount was worth it.
Summary: Wouldn't recommend them to my worst enemy's dog!
More reviews in the field of Utility Service
- Npower - terrible web services, terrible phone services, inappropriate closing t ...
- SP fails to understand the concept of Customer Service
- The worst company I have dealt with in my life
- Someone will call you.....no one has...oh they must be going to write ....that t ...
- Atlantic Cheat Disabled Customers
- DO NOT USE Utility Warehouse
- Scottish Power customer online service