Product Type: Dyson vacuums
Newest Review: ... similar versions out now that are better and more readily available but hopefully this will give you some idea of what to expect from thi... more
No terrible 'sucker' joke here!
Member Name: lain
Date: 24/07/02, updated on 13/05/03 (4501 review reads)
Advantages: bagless, constantly powerful suction, excellent construction & design
Disadvantages: costly, horrible colours, may cause regret to those who just bought DC05
Dyson has just introduced a new cylinder vacuum cleaner with EVEN more suction power and better pickup to remove more dust, dirt and allergens from peoples' homes: the DC08. The DC08 uses Dyson's new Root12Cyclone technology with 33% more suction than its predecessor DC05, making it the most powerful cylinder vacuum cleaner in the world.
TECHNICAL FEATURES ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
The technical features on the DC08 include (*depending on model):
- Dyson Root12Cyclone technology: uses 12 mini cyclones to maintain constant suction and also removes more fine dust from the airflow than any other bag or 'bagless' system, so the filters don't clog.
- Contact Head (floor tool): which is designed to stay in constant contact with all floor surfaces, even as it is pulled backwards, allowing it to pick up more dirt. Two settings for hard fllors or carpets.
- Large debris pick-up: additional front channel on the Contact Head means that larger dirt and debris is not snowploughed across a smooth floor, so you can pick up larger pieces such as rice and nuts first time.
- Lifetime filters: constant suction and high filtration of particles as small as cigarette smoke (0.1 micron) and no expensive filters to replace.
- Easy to manoeuvre: with a rear centre of gravity, DCO8 turns and manoeuvres responsively on the spot and is easily pulled around furniture.
- High velocity airflow tools: DCO8 tools (stair, crevice, and brush)can be attached directly to the end of the hose, allowing you to clean confined spaces easily such as the car or upholstery.
- Suction release trigger: the suction release trigger reduces suction by 35%, so that you can clean upholstery or delicate rugs without them sticking to the cleaner.
- Ergonomic wand handle: the new ergonomic wand handle has been designed to rotate to take the weight off your wrist as you clean.
- Adjustable wand: the lightweight ext
ension tube adjusts to the length you want - just grip the sleeve and pull.
- Sits on the stairs: DCO8 is designed to sit on each step as you clean.
- Automatic cord rewind: saves the trouble of winding and unwinding the cord everytime.
- Easy to store: the wand slides securely into the parking yoke at the back of DCO8 for stable and convenient storage.
- Clear bin: so that you can see how well the Dyson works; tell when it's full; empties easily; and allows easy retrieval of lost objects.
- Protective rubber wheels: over moulded with rubber tyres, the wheels are kinder to your floors than plastic wheels.
- Robust construction: DCO8 is made from ABS and polycarbonate; 2 of the strongest materials available.
- HEPA filter * : specially designed to retain the highest level of microscopic particles. The 310m2 HEPA filter includes a bacteria- killing screen. This combination not only captures harmful particles such as cigarette smoke, but it also traps, retains and kills bacteria on contact. Suitable for allergy and asthmatic sufferers.
- Turbobrush * : uses a brushbar driven by powerful Root12Cyclone suction to pick up more hair and fibres from carpet and upholstery.
PERSONAL EXPERIENCE (revised)~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Upon taking delivery of the new DC08 Hepa+ from VacuumCleanersDirect.co.uk (don't go there!), the first thing I noticed was the Dyson was smaller than expected. Like all Dysons, the DCO8 has no bag, thereby ensuring 100% suction all the time. The unit itself felt sturdy and is well-constructed. The weight was a little lighter, weighing in at a manageable 6kg. There are two carry handles, right on its centre of gravity, making carrying it up the stairs somewhat easier. Three attachable tools are provided: a flat stair tool, a thin crevice tool and a bristle brush tool for all-round specialised cleaning. There wasn't much of an instruction book
, more of a leaflet detailing the
setup and use. After all, vacuuming isn't exactly rocket science! Setup was accomplished in under a minute, a few clicks and I was ready.
DOWN TO THE DIRTY BUSINESS
The Dyson is exceedingly simple to operate: just a large on/off button and auto-rewind cord button, also look out for the ingeniously designed wand. Switching on the Dyson, I found the noise level similar to my older Vax. No bad thing considering the higher level of power and suction the Dyson provides. The first thing that struck me was that since there was so much suction, it was much harder dragging the head across the carpet. But surely it's worth the effort for cleaner homes? Anyway one get used to it rather quickly. Another thing was the heat and power of its exhaust, which I hardly noticed before in my Vax. The real shock was not how powerful the Dyson was, but how much muck there was embedded in my carpet, even though the house was cleaned prior. Such horrendous amount of dust, fluff and hair was sucked up that I had to empty the large 2-litre bin twice in the course of my initial 'testing'. Cleaning the stairs is now much easier, thanks to the long-range hose and the fact that the Dyson sits on the steps.
ANALYSIS OF BIN CONTENT
Top most are the carpet fluff and hair (i'm quite concerned that the Dyson may even be too powerful, reducing the lifespan of the carpets); while settling at the bottom are brown-coloured dust. It is the fineness of the dust at the bottom which astounds. It's utterly amazing the Dyson can separate the very fine, light powder from air. Impressive!
ONE WEEK ON ...
Watching the dust and fluff rotating in the vortex is a strangely satisfying experience, so much so that vacuuming now becomes actually enjoyable! Indeed I have already 'hoover' the entire house three times since. My home now feels cleaner than Intel's dust-free silicon factories.
ONE YEAR O
Apart from the 6-month routine of washing the pre-motor filter, no problems had been encountered so far. It really works like a charm.
Neat touches such as automatic cord winding and the brilliantly conceived wand really demontrates the creative thought invested in the DC08. Frankly it's difficult to see how even Dyson can further improve on its vacuums.
In summary, the DC08 is a fitting vacuum cleaner for the 21st century household; there is simply nothing else like it on the market. Granted it's not cheap but at £226 it represents genuine value for money. Compared with my prehistoric Vax, the new Dyson is a masterpiece of British ingeniuty and technical innovation; an absolutely perfect piece of engineering and design. Well done Mr Dyson!
More reviews in the field of Vacuum Cleaner
- a good vacum
- The New Powerful 1800 watt VS-03 Vax
- "clean as a whistle" with Bissell
- This machine is the perfect house mate....
- Mr Dyson - you 'da man!
- Kärcher the vacuum with lips to kiss your windows clean
- Excellent, easy to handle cleaner.
- dusty dusty
- Steam cleaner, does it do much?
- An Athletic, Effective Way To Clean Without Breaking A Sweat!