Newest Review: ... ones arms while it sits on it. To change the heads it is very simple you slide the changeable head down and with a little bit of a push... more
Thomas the tank engine watch
Thomas & Friends Interchangable Head LCD Watch
Member Name: xmum2threex
Thomas & Friends Interchangable Head LCD Watch
Advantages: Nice novelty
Disadvantages: Digital display rather than clock face
These watches are available in many different characters my son has the Thomas the tank engine one while my daughter has the Dora version. The basic concept with these watches is you get 4 different heads for the watch which you can swap and change to make the appearance different and each changeable head is related to the characters programme.
It is made of rubber for the watch strap itself and then the head of the watch is made out of solid plastic. Then you receive the Thomas head already pre attached to the watch and 3 replacements in the packet which are Percy Spencer and James all well known characters from the show.
The watch strap fits well on my 4 year old sons arm there are a few holes in the strap so it can be made shorter and larger so it gives a good age range available for children that this watch will fit and the watch itself is really light so it will not irritate little ones arms while it sits on it.
To change the heads it is very simple you slide the changeable head down and with a little bit of a push it clicks out of place. Then to add the new head you do the same push it into the whole provided and then upwards until it clicks into place.
The watch is bright and colourful it holds the Thomas the tank engine slogan across the watch straps and all the changeable heads are true to the characters from the TV show so very recognisable to children straight away.
To open the watch you pull the character at the left hand side and it opens up to reveal the time displayed on a small LCD screen when you push a button it also displays today's date. There are 2 buttons beneath this screen which you use to change the time to the correct setting and be warned you will have to do this a lot as it is easily knocked out of the correct place while in use.
**Is it durable? **
We have had this Thomas watch for around 2 years now and the Dora watch for around a year and neither has needed their batteries changing as yet so they do last well. The watch itself is still intact although we have lost the James head as the pieces are rather small and this mixed with young children as you would expect is not the best idea.
I have a few downsides to these watches which is a shame as my children really do love them.
1. The clock is shown digitally rather than a clock face with hands so although my children are just coming to the age they want to learn about telling the time they are unable to do so with their own watches which is a shame.
2. The changing of the faces can be really fiddly and although my oldest son has now learnt to change them it did take him a while and it can be really frustrating for them so a great novelty factor but not very practical
3. The 2 buttons of the front of the watch which set the time and date are really sensitive and whenever my son or daughter open their watch they always catch them which instantly change the time not that they can read it but also I think this is a little impractical.
** Summary **
Over all although it sounds like a lot of negatives it is a bright fun watch and my children like having their own to sit on their arm. It is a novelty item rather than day to day use but it is a fun addition all the same. It looks cheap but has lasted surprisingly well and if you asked my children it would get 5 out of 5 marks. It is not bank breaking and a nice little gift for any Thomas fan.
The watch is suitable for 3 years plus which is a good age recommendation as the heads of the watch are rather small and as it is fiddly to try and change the faces of the watch this seems reasonable. They retail for around £8 and can be brought from places like Argos, Tesco and asda. I would recommend this watch as my children love theirs but it is a novelty toy rather than anything else.
Summary: A nice novelty watch
- Adidas Cambridge Unisex Watch ADH2693
- Adidas Toronto Unisex Chronograph Watch ADH2678
- Adidas Melbourne Unisex Watch ADH2651
- Adidas Cambridge Unisex Chronograph Watch ADH2616
- TW Steel Gandeur Tech TW608 Mens Watch
- Kenneth Cole KC2632 Ladies Watch
- Kenneth Cole KC2603 Mens Watch
- Karen Millen Ladies Stainless Steel Bracelet Watch KM121SM
- Karen Millen Ladies Rose Gold IP Bracelet Watch KM121RGM
- Karen Millen Ladies Leather Strap Watch KM123W