Product Type: Casillero Del Diablo Wine
Newest Review: ... steel tanks. This gives the wine its oak flavours. The name Casillero del Diablo means cellar of the devil. The name came about in th... more
Be a devil
Casillero Del Diablo
Member Name: anwar7
Casillero Del Diablo
Advantages: see review
Disadvantages: see review
I am usually a white wine drinker but do, on occasions, like a glass (or 3) of red. One of my favourites is Casillero del Diablo cabernet sauvignon.
Casillero del Diablo cabernet sauvignon is produced in the Maipo valley in Chile. After fermentation in steel tanks 70% of the wine is then transferred to be aged in American oak for a further 6-8 months. The remaining 30% is aged in stainless steel tanks. This gives the wine its oak flavours.
The name Casillero del Diablo means cellar of the devil. The name came about in the 19th century when the vineyard owner Don Melchor discovered that his vineyard workers were sampling his precious wines. Don Melchor started a rumour that his dark cellar where the wine was stored was the cellar of the devil. It is not documented whether or not his ploy worked, but the name stuck.
However back to the present day and that all-important taste test! The bottle looks good with its red foil top and white and gold label. On uncorking the bottle and taking a sniff I can't say I really noticed any so called bouquet. On poring a glass I could definitely detect a fruity aroma. The bottle suggests this wine has a bouquet of ripe cherries, blackcurrants and plums with a hint of vanilla. The colour is a lovely rich, bright red. My first sip tastes smooth and rich. I find some red wines have a horrible, tannin aftertaste but this one has no hint of tannin. After a few sips I could detect a hint of vanilla and a really fruity taste. In short this wine is lovely! This is a great wine to drink with any red meat, tomato dishes or cheese. It is also good on its own!
With an alcohol content of 13.6% this wine is no lightweight and should be treated with respect to avoid the hangover from hell. It is widely available and costs around £5.99 a bottle. I really recommend you give it a try!
Summary: wine form Chile
More reviews in the field of Wine
- Chanson Pere & Fils - Chablis
- Chanson Pere & Fils - Macon Villages
- Chanson Pere & Fils - Pouilly Fuisse
- Chanson Pere & Fils - Vire-Clesse
- Chanson Pere & Fils - Rully
- Die Edle Von Goldeck
- Spitz Non Alcoholic Party Drink Disney Pirates Strawberry
- Spitz Non Alcoholic Party Drink Disney Mickey Mouse Grape
- Spitz Non Alcoholic Party Drink Disney Cars Strawberry
- Hochriegl Frizzante Eight