* Prices may differ from that shownMore Offers
I have owned this for several years and it has lived in the cupboard for most of those. I picked it up in PC World for around £20. Installation was quite straightforward - run the install disk and when prompted turn off the pc, push the card into one of the free slots on the motherboard and boot back up again.
You then have a choice to either connect with the Belkin software or use the Windows Network Connection tool. I did try with the Belkin software but found it slow to open, slow to navigate around and for some reason would never accept the wireless network password. No matter the windows tool worked fine.
It didn't take me long to come across further problems with it.... Firstly (and obviously) because the device is installed in the back of your computer you cannot see the lights on it to check whether you have a connection or not or whether it is even trying to connect (unless you keep crawling round the back of the computer). This becomes important due to the other problem with this device: dropped connections. It would connect to the wireless network without problem, would then work for anything between 30 seconds and 15 minutes and would then drop out. The quickest way to get it working again was to disable it in device manager, re-enable it and see if it would connect. This worked in 50% of the occasions, the other 50% required a full reboot....but then a few minutes later it would drop the connection again. I have spoken to 3 other friends who owned this device and they all had the same problem.
After about 3 months of frustration I uninstalled it and bought the usb wireless device instead....I suggest that anybody else looking at these products does the same
I bought my Belkin wireless card as a middle of the range product, not too expensive, not too cheap. I bought two - one for me and one for my boyfriend.
The first one we installed was my boyfriend's. He's done this kind of thing before, and followed the step-by-step instructions to the word. It fitted into the slot fine, however when you switched on the computer and installed the software, it came up with error after error. Our initial thoughts were that there was a problem with the drivers, so we went onto the Belkin website and downloaded them again. This made no difference, and the wireless card software still came up with errors. Eventually we gave up after re-installing it, taking it out etc, and used his previous slower USB wireless card, which worked! Not the easy installation we had hoped for.
At the time we wrote it off as maybe the card not being compatable with his (high end brand new) PC, although it seemed unlikely.
A few months later I installed my wireless card into my desktop. There were a couple of glitches - when I tried to install the card, it didnt seem to fit into my computer, it took some pushing and it wasnt as easy as it should have been. I built my own computer so I know that fitting a wireless card should have been easier. Once it was in, the software worked fine, so I thought all was well. However, given about a day, the card started to disconnect me from the network every 10 minutes, which is very irritating!
Both of these incidents have made me realise it is probably not my boyfriends' or my computers which are faulty or incompatable - it is just that these cards are unreliable!
Later on I found out that my housemates had bought the same brand of cards, and some of them had had difficulty with them too.